Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you guys know, I did a pictorial review a couple years back on the Clark Jungle Hammock "North American" model as a viable option for back-country hunters and spike camp hunters... predominantly guys hunting out west. These hammocks are great for guys who don't like sleeping on the ground, and who may be hunting where there isn't flat or "non rocky" ground. The hammock also allows you to setup in areas that are wet/soppy and even may have standing water.

This is the old thread with alot of pros/con's....

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=678428

Since then I have sold the North American and upgraded to Clark's new NX-250 model. Here is the new NX-250. I did NOT setup the rain fly when taking the pictures b/c it was 28 F outside (lunch break at the office) and the wind was blowing 30-40 mph.:shocked:. I'm somtimes amazed that I really care about doing pictorials of gear... setting the hammock up and taking the pictures was not fun in this weather (I wore too light of a coat today).

The NX-250 is about 24" longer and about 6"-8" wider than the North American and uses a different canopy setup (the arch rods) that gives more internal volume (think dome tent vs. teepee). I think the new canopy rod system really works well and makes a big diffrerence. I like it alot. For a half rigged setup, it felt and looked great from the inside.

There are also some external clips that you can use (tie up support lines) if you want to make the canopy more taught.

In the past, I had rigged the North American with my UCR ropes to make it easier and faster to tie up to trees. That worked well, but I have discovered (more like saw it on youtube) that you can use the factory drip ring with a few half hitches to do the same thing. This system is superior to using UCR's or any other sort of rig... it's great, is super easy to tie up and work well... no additions or modifications necessary.

In the images below, you'll also notice that there are webbing straps attached to the trees. These are really cheap and can be bought direct from Clark if you ever decide to get one of these hammocks. The webbing straps give you more reach than you could get with the ropes, but they are mainly to protect the trees from having their bark and underlayers of cambrium damaged from the ropes. I'm not a tree hugger, so I never thought is was a big deal... but I will say that they make setting the hammock up alot easier... I'm all about easier.:thumbs_up:p

One of the big benefits that the Clark hammocks have is the storage pockets under the hammock. You can get a TON of gear in there for storage off the ground, and out of the weather while you are sleeping. I normally store my boots, jackets, rain gear, food, stove, and anything else I can think of in these pockets. They also add a good amount of insulation to the bottom of the hammock when you fill them up.

Just in case you were wondering... I have taken a picture of the hammock rolled up in it's integral stuff sack. Here it is next to an 8-1/2" X 11" sheet of printer paper.

Here is a closeup of the stuff sack....

I plan to add more pictures to this thread over the next few weeks (showing the fly and other items I may have left out)... so bear with me.

That's it for now. Let me know if you guys have any questions or special pricture requests.

-ZA

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
If only I wasn’t claustrophobic:cry:

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Heck yeah ZA.. Great job as usual.. The Hammock looks sweet I will be ordering one very soon.. And thanks for bearing the weather to get the pics to us crazy AT folks.. :thumbs_up :thumbs_up :thumbs_up :cocktail:

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If only I wasn’t claustrophobic:cry:
It's really not that bad... seriously. With the fly over it, you could have the weather shield unzipped around your head and could lay in the hammock and look all around... while it's raining and not get wet... so it's not "confining" or anything at all. Heck, with everything zipped up tight as a drum, it's still not confining. You are in an enclosed space, but you aren't squished or anything. It's pretty comfortable.

-ZA

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One thing I'd like to point out is the amount of room you have inside of the NX-250 vs. the North American. I'm 6'-1" and weigh 250 (in the off season).

Here is the old North American.... Note how close the sides of the hammock are to my legs, how the sides come up like a triangle (teepee style) and how close my feet are to the end of the hammock. When I took this picture, I probably had 12" or so of room from the top of my head to the other end of the hammock.

Here is the NX-250. Notice the difference. When I took this picture, there was roughly 24" from the top of my head to the end of the hammock. BIG DIFFERENCE! Notice the "arched" roof and the amount of visable room. This was "half assed" setup with no tension line installed to keep the roof taught.

-ZA

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
What is the size and weight difference, all packed up in it's stuff sack, compared to the North American bear burrito.....model, I mean. Do you think it is worth a little extra size and weight in your pack for the extra space?

·
Registered
54 Posts
ZA that was awesome. Thank you for bearing with the weather and getting it done. We really appreciate it :teeth:

·
Registered
696 Posts
Alright...this thing looks awesome! Perfect for this way out west boy! SO 2 questions:

1) How much will it hold? I'm 6ft2, 285#...
and
2) How much does it cost?

Great pics and review! Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
Alright...this thing looks awesome! Perfect for this way out west boy! SO 2 questions:

and

Clarks web site is www.junglehammock.com there you can find everything you need.

I think the hammock shown (NX 250) is about 400 bucks.

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What is the size and weight difference, all packed up in it's stuff sack, compared to the North American bear burrito.....model, I mean. Do you think it is worth a little extra size and weight in your pack for the extra space?
The NX-250 might take up 5-10% more space. Not really noticable... and it felt like it weighed the same to me... I didn't put it on a scale though. I don't think it's enough weight for me to notice.

That's why I sold my north american... more space and a better design.

Sounds to me like the NX-150 would work well for me. I'm 5'10 185#'s.. Dont ya think?
That one would probably work well for ya.

-ZA

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

and

I think it's rated for 400-500 lbs or something like that. You are GTG.
They ain't cheap.:eek:

-ZA

·
Registered
618 Posts
It looks cool and I'm sure it works but these are the reason I will pass:

1. Tree dependent.
2. Bowed sleeping.
3. Cold air circulating all around.
4. Material pinches in on ends (condensation concern).
5. Trees sway in the wind.
6. Lack of headroom.
7. Having to spend excessive time in a tootsie roll when socked in by weather.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Thanks!

Clarks web site is www.junglehammock.com there you can find everything you need.

I think the hammock shown (NX 250) is about 400 bucks.
Great product! I do a lot of backpacking and trekking up in the Rocky's here in CA. As well as canyoning in all parts of the world and this is perfect! A bit pricey but I think you have something for everyone on your site.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
looks good so far. I can't wait to see what more you have to say and show.

How is the number of pockets on the bottom of this one vs. the north american? I am wondering for both amount of storage and insulation.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
looks good so far. I can't wait to see what more you have to say and show.

How is the number of pockets on the bottom of this one vs. the north american? I am wondering for both amount of storage and insulation.

Thanks
Good question Techy! Im wondering the same thing.. I know after sleeping on the ground last year in Colorado on a pad! I wont be doing that again.. I have been waiting for someone to check out this new version and I belive Im about to pick one up for all my future backcountry adventures..

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It has the same # and size of underneath pockets as the North American. Actually... the pockets may be a tad bigger b/c the NX-250 is a littel wider & longer.

I seriously reccommend using an inflatiable pad (I use a Thermarest Prolite 4) in the hammocks. They pretty much guarantee that you'll be warm and they also help "spread out" the bottom of the hammock... giving it a flatter shape and actually making it more comfortable/easy to use.

-ZA

1 - 20 of 33 Posts