Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any advice with battling nerves/anxiety when putting up a clean target face or starting a scoring round? 5-spot

The last two weeks of league, I shot (2) 299's. One week I shot a 4 on my third arrow, then shot 56 straight 5's. The other week I shot a 4 on my sixth arrow, then shot 53 straight 5's. Once I shoot a 4, the pressure is off, the nerves/anxiety goes away and I can go back to shooting well. In warmup, I shoot well. It starts when the clean target goes up and lasts until I throw a 4, which is typically early.

I know 100% it is mental. I know it is fairly common in tournament archers. I'm just looking for advice to overcome it or deal with it. Thanks

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I struggle with this as well. I was so close to punching my first 300 round two weekends ago. I got so worked up by the 5th end that I bumped my release while settling in with the kisser button. I completely missed the target. The next 7 ends I was on fire. I ended up with a 295 46X in the BHFS.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I struggled with the same thing until I finally shot my first 300. Since then the nerves are gone and it's rare that I don't shoot a 300 anymore. It's a mental thing that you'll just have to find a way past until you hit your mark. Plenty of books and videos out on the mental side of shooting sports if that sort of thing will help you. I simply hit the range every time that I could until I got it done. I'm still in the high 40X - low 50X range right now and I'm sure I will deal with this again once I get to the 58x - 59x range. Hopefully I can plow through that obstacle when it comes as well. Good luck on hitting your goal!!!

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Does anyone have any advice with battling nerves/anxiety when putting up a clean target face or starting a scoring round? 5-spot

The last two weeks of league, I shot (2) 299's. One week I shot a 4 on my third arrow, then shot 56 straight 5's. The other week I shot a 4 on my sixth arrow, then shot 53 straight 5's. Once I shoot a 4, the pressure is off, the nerves/anxiety goes away and I can go back to shooting well. In warmup, I shoot well. It starts when the clean target goes up and lasts until I throw a 4, which is typically early.

I know 100% it is mental. I know it is fairly common in tournament archers. I'm just looking for advice to overcome it or deal with it. Thanks
Opposite problem here. Can't tell you how many rounds I've gone clean into the final end then banged out a 4 or two.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I struggled with the same thing until I finally shot my first 300. Since then the nerves are gone and it's rare that I don't shoot a 300 anymore. It's a mental thing that you'll just have to find a way past until you hit your mark. Plenty of books and videos out on the mental side of shooting sports if that sort of thing will help you. I simply hit the range every time that I could until I got it done. I'm still in the high 40X - low 50X range right now and I'm sure I will deal with this again once I get to the 58x - 59x range. Hopefully I can plow through that obstacle when it comes as well. Good luck on hitting your goal!!!

Thanks. Maybe you mean shoot a 300 this year & it'll go away. I've shot 300's in the past, haven't noticed this much nerves in the past. Usually it is gone after the first arrow.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have found that I must shift my focus to my shot. I concentrate on the events leading up to the release going off, this has helped me. I know this is much easier said than done, but once you build the confidence in your shot, the score doesn't bother you as much. Right now I know if I do my part its gonna be an X. Do I get nervous, sure. But I have other things to focus on. I start with my grip. Is that placed right? Then draw the bow. Find my anchor, and crawl into my peep. Does all that feel and look right? Now is my bubble even? Ok now where is that X. How does my float look? Everything look good? Start pulling. Now here is the hardest lesson, and I have learned it 100 times. And Im sure I will learn it a few more times. As soon as my mind wanders away from anything but thinking about an X, its time to let down. I have had problems with nerves here recently but through practice, positive thinking, and a little confidence I am getting it more and more under control. Just this past weekend I shoot a tournament with shoot downs. Was very happy with the way I was able to control heart rate and breathing. I even felt bad when one of the guys I was shooting against clearly let his nerves get to him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts