Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to clean my carbon arrows so that I can refletch them. I already ruined one with a razor blade trying to take off the fletching ( plastic ). How do I do it and what is a simple way of cleaning them to refletch. Steady:mad:

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
It can be done with a razor blade, but the Zip Strip tool makes it so much easier. Definately one of the better investments I made. Then used Denatured Alcohol to clean the shafts, you can find it a Home Depot or Lowes for like $6.00.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
If your woried about scrapes in the carbon, I have found Goo Gone also helpful in softening the glue used.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
A dull smooth bladed knife works the best for me. Hold the blade straight and perpendicular to the shaft to scrape glue off and hold it around a 30 degree angle to initially scrape off the old vanes.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I use a fairly sharp knife that will hold a good edge. This cleans them up real well. I then use some fine sand paper to finish the clean up. After that I use either 91% rubbing alcohol or a non-petroleum based solvent like Birchwood casey gun scrubber. These both work well. The alcohol takes longer to dry.

·
Bowhunter
5,202 Posts
Next set of arrows you fletch - you should use wraps. They make vane adhesion much easier and make refletching simple, too - without destroying any carbon.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Midlife Crisis said:
Next set of arrows you fletch - you should use wraps. They make vane adhesion much easier and make refletching simple, too - without destroying any carbon.
Wraps definately reduce the risk of cutting into the carbon, thats also why I use a dull knife. I want to scrape off the old glue without cutting into the shaft.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
seminoletex said:
remove what you can and dip the arrow in acetone for about a minute and what ever is left in the shaft will come off easy.
Acetone is a carbon based solvent, its not a good idea to expose a carbon shaft to acetone for more than just a wipe down. I recommend staying away from acetone on carbon and stick to alcohol.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
A fruit peeler! Works great! 1 dollar at the dollar store!

·
Registered
838 Posts
To make the arrows look the best, you can use the zip strip tool. Finish off with some scotch bright pad and rub with alcohol. Then put on wraps to cover it all up.
That makes arrows look new again.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
A fruit pealer!!! What a cool idea--Now I have to try that one myself!!

I use a sharp knife with a sand paper follow up. I then clean them with either denatured alcohol or > 91% rubbing alcohol. Seems to work well. When I moved to carbons, I probably refletched with 6 different vanes before I settled on one type. Problem is, everytime they come out with a new improved vane, I want to try it.

No matter how careful I am, I periodically ruin a shaft myself. For hunting, I settled on CE Maximas with Bohning Low Profile 4" vanes. It's not the lightest rig, but I'm confident with the set up. 32" draw length shooting 31 1/2" on a bowtech Old Glory @ 62 pounds.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Acetone will disolve the resin used to make the arrows. Granted, it does not work as quickly on cured resin as it does before the cure, but it can and will eventually disolve the resin, and weaken the fibers.

Better to stick with a dull edge, and something like scotchbrite to simply scuff the surface for adhesion of the new glue.

Ted

1 - 14 of 14 Posts