Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Trophy Nanny Hunter
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys use to clean torn fletching off of arrows? I have carbon arrows. I have a Bitz jig but I always have a hard time getting the arrow rid of all the old fletching before I put the new fletching on.

·
Registered
19,453 Posts
I have an old exacto knife (razorblade knife) and it is real dull and I scrape everything off with it then use a pad to lightly sand it and acetone to clean and go to it.

·
EXTREME BOWSTRINGS
11,629 Posts
I use a old knife also.

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
I have an old serrated knife where the serrations work perfectly for removing vanes from the shaft. I use steel wool dipped in acetone to remove any residual glue, then i wash with Ajax and water.

Squeaky clean results.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
It takes alot of scraping with a dull knife or a sharp one almost verticle to the shaft at a 90 so you don't dig into the carbon. I like to use goo gone after that to remove any glue i've missed and then a couple light strokes with a very fine grit sandpaper. At some point it must be weakening the shaft, you just can't do it without removing some of the carbon so heres what I did to stop it.
Get your arrows perfectly clean then pm bowmanhunter and get some WRAPS. Never worry about it again. My like is sooo much easier now. I can't believe I use to go through all that. Now I get out the wifes hair dryer, heat em up and peel them off. It works great. its cheap, less hassel.
Bryan

·
Registered
19,453 Posts
onmedic said:
At some point it must be weakening the shaft, you just can't do it without removing some of the carbon so heres what I did to stop it.
I respectfully disagree with that Bryan. I have done it this way since carbons came out and not had any problems. I have done some arrows over many times and they are still going strong. If someone starts to cut into the carbon fibers, that is a different story.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I use a single edge razor blade to cut the old fletching off, and when I get most of the base off, I scrape the remainder of the vane and glue off with the razor at 90 degrees to the arrow. You're not really cutting at this point, you are scraping across the surface to remove glue. This will keep you from digging into the carbon, as was mentioned by another person. Then I clean the shaft really good with alcohol. You need to be careful with the razor blade, of course, but I've never cut myself, except for a few nicks, and I've gotten pretty quick at cleaning up a old arrow.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
scraping...............

goat tuff "debonder"

acetone...............

ajax and scratchpad.

denatured alcohol.

good stuff................but gotta be careful and sparring with acetone.

camoham

·
Trophy Nanny Hunter
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Has anyone tried the fletch removal tool that is out there? I've seen them at Gander Mtn and Cabelas. They run about 15 bucks. I never picked one up, but I might if someone else has good things to say about it. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Here's a link for what I'm talking about:

Link

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
MN Doe Hunter said:
Has anyone tried the fletch removal tool that is out there? I've seen them at Gander Mtn and Cabelas. They run about 15 bucks. I never picked one up, but I might if someone else has good things to say about it. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Here's a link for what I'm talking about:

Link

I use one manufactured by Storm. It works great. I stopped using super glues on my vanes and use Fletch-tite Platinum. It has MEK in it and bonds better to Blazers and other vanes. It is a lot easier to scrap than super glues. Easier on the shaft and me. I wipe with Acetone and let dry.

I have hear that a potato peeler works well.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Paint Stripper

I cut off my fletching with scissors, then just put the carbon shafts into a gallon of paint stripper for a few minutes and clean them with a knife. Then I wash the shafts with water, wipe them with denatured alcohol and fletch them with Bohning Platinum. Is there anything wrong with that method? I've been doing it for years and it seems to work for me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.