Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you clean your wool? Generally wool should be dry cleaned; does anyone worry about the chemicals being a scent problem in the woods? Sometimes wool can be washed in cold water I think, but it's risky, especially with very expensive garments (Gray Wolf comes to mind).

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Being a northeast big woods deer hunter, I have been using wool my whole life. Dry cleaners is the safest way to go, but thats not what I do. I always wash my Johnson Wool in a 5 gallon bucket in very cold water with a small amount of hunting detergent, then I let it dry on a board (not a hanger as wet wool will stretch under it own weight). I've been cleaning my wool like this for 20 years, and I still have my first green and black plaid wool hunting jacket I bought from Johnson. The key is very cold water, not using heat to dry, and laying the garment out, not hanging it.

·
Registered
33 Posts

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
great thread, keep the info coming...!!!

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have Columbia Gallatin Range wool pants and jacket. I wash in cold water in my front load washer. Don't try this in a regular washer though as they agitate. The front load washers do not. Like Meleagris1, I dry it by laying it out flat, never on a hanger and definately not in the dryer.

huntin1

·
Registered
394 Posts
I started getting wool garments 3 years ago. I've used nothing but wool since then. I have King of the Mountain. I've never washed it. If it gets muddied I just brush it off.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I own Sleeping Indian. Been thinking it was about time to wash it, keep the info coming. With the amount of $ I have into it, not sure I trush myself to wash it or not. May take it the dry cleaner.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
ttt

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
i have the heavy columbia wool camo and wash it in the washer on cold. still good after 3 seasons.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts