Archery Talk Forum banner

Clearwater Archery? & Horizon Archery?

1993 Views 14 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Reed
I found two used Compound bows in excellent condition and both of them seem to be very well built. One is at my local pawn shop and one is at my local Compound Bow shop and is being sold on consignment. The only problem is, I have never herd of the two brands, one was a Power Mag made by Clearwater Archery and one was made by Horizon. Both seem to be very well built, but the Horizon seem better of the two and it has a cam on the bottom and a wheel at the top. The Clearwater has a wheel at the top and bottom. Clearwater is going for $39 and the Horizon is going $49. I'm not a expert in Archery or Bow hunting, and I have never herd of the two brands of bows. Does anyone have any information about these two companies? I haven't found out much about them on the internet even though they both seem to be well built. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
792 Posts
uhmmm

clearwaters were good bows.they got bought out by someone and I think it was STORM if I remember right then I think they went out also?I still have access to some limbs and cams etc. they seem to be hard to find though for most

· Registered
5,223 Posts
Clearwater/Storm Archery bows were very well made, and seemed to be very similar to the High Country bows...Hatchet cams, machined risers, and a feature that I personally like was a steel insert in the riser for the limb bolts to thread into, like the Martin bows have, and narrow grips, that are square on the backside, another outstanding feature for Me....The bowshop that I go to sold Clearwater Archery bows, and there a few of those still hanging around, and a few archers still shooting them...Clearwater Archery also made a few single cam bows that were nice, and from what I've seen, shoot pretty fast...I've never seen a Clearwater bow with wheels, though...for $39.00, I'd buy it and see how it shoots....Might make a good Spot bow, if the A-T-A, and brace height specs are suited for an indoor bow....Hope this helps......Harperman

· Registered
1,722 Posts
Clearwater

Clearwater bows were designed by Dave Powers of Clearwater, Idaho. Dave is usually in the top 3 for senior pro shooters every year. He comes in first quite a bit also. Anyway, first Storm bought them then Alpine archery bought out Clearwater from Storm a few years back. Dave shoots for Alpine now. The power mag is a really good bow. They are kinda heavily but very very accurate and durable. I killed my first bear, elk, and moose with my power mag. If you have any more questions about Clearwater, feel free to pm me. I'm very familiar with these bows because Dave and my father-in-law have been friends for over 25 years and I have had the pleasure of talking with Dave and picking his brain about designing bows.

· Registered
5,904 Posts
I had a bunch of clearwaters back in the day. Great bows, not a thing wrong with them. Killed my first deer with a power mag and several after that. They were very good bows.

· Registered
295 Posts
Nope.

Not that it makes a lot of difference, but Clearwater was never bought out by Alpine. Before or after Storm bought Clearwater from David.

Yes, David shoots for Alpine now, so do both of his sons --Bubba and Dusty.

David sold Clearwater to Burley Hall and (I understand) a couple of other people -- they called it Storm and I'm not sure what happened to them after that.

Alpine was started -- as was Clearwater -- by people that originally worked for High Country. Bob Proctor started Alpine and David Powers started Clearwater. Bob was a design engineer for HC and David was a "rep".

The Clearwater bows were really good in their day -- I'm not familiar with Horizon.

DDD

· Registered
388 Posts
Storm is still around.:wink: They will have a new line of bows coming out. :set1_applaud: So if you are a past storm shooter. You will be able to get your hands on a new one in the not to distant future.

regards,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.