Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Carter target 3 release. I notice when I put pressure on the trigger with no load on it, it makes a audible click noise before firing. I can feel it in my thumb also. I have the travel set about a 1/8 turn from firing. I tried setting it with less travel but still makes noise, it isn't loud but enough to play with your head when shooting. Anybody have any ideas or have it happen to them?

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
Hmm.. Does it have a ITS spring?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does have the ITS spring in it. It has the #95 spring in it. Can't really hear it but I can feel it when I slowly apply pressure to the trigger. I adjusted the travel to a little more than a 1/16 of a turn from making it fire and I can still feel it. What do you think it could possibly be?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Take it apart(I know Carter warns against it) and clean it out. Careful with the springs of course!! I have an Insatiable 3+ with the ITS and I had a gritty feel to the trigger after about 2 years of use. Took it apart, cleaned the dirt out of it, and lubed it with Tri-Flo. Haven't had an issue since.

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
I would say the ITS spring grinding against the case during trigger compression. Could have build up in there as well, I would not use any liquid oil in a release. I have had great results with light white lithium grease. You want something that will stay on the Sears and not run off.

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
I grease all springs in release, including the ITS. The triangle spring I have seen several Times shift and become / inside the case. Sometimes causing misfired, or trigger lock up.

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
The amount the Sears actually move against each other is tiny, would not think it was a sear issue.

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
You feel comfortable taking it apart?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would say the ITS spring grinding against the case during trigger compression. Could have build up in there as well, I would not use any liquid oil in a release. I have had great results with light white lithium grease. You want something that will stay on the Sears and not run off.
That is what it kind of feels like, just a little grind of a spring or something.

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
I would remove the ITS spring and shine a light in the hole, look for debri or build up. Grease it and check it then. I prefer lube on the Sears to keep them gliding smoothly.

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
This is what you are dealing with internally. Carter's are bombproof releases. Not much to go wrong in there.

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
If you do decide to take it apart, remove the ITS spring first and make sure It is not cocked. The small return spring is a flyer, I recommend doing it in a gallon zip lock to be safe. Most of the time it is pretty simple.

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
I would think it just needs some cleaning and maintenance...

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
Yeah Forrest would definitely take care of it. I think if I remember right it is about 30.00 for them to go through it. Don't quote me though. Lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts