Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Embrace the suck!
7,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some days my target panic defeats me, and I am considering a limb mounted clicker. Has anyone experienced a spooked animal from the sound of their clicker? On video they seem very loud and crisp. Can a clicker still work if you muffle it somehow?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
No. I took a clicker to Africa. An impala makes a whitetail look like he's on drugs. Sitting in a blind when an impala was watering I clicked the clicker and no response.

I think both an impala and a whitetail are ducking arrow noise.

Bowmania

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I have mine hockey taped to the point where you can't really even hear it. I FEEL it in the string and that's what triggers my shot. Also, there's no shiny steel exposed

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,247 Posts
Maybe the wildlife will mistake the Crick-it clicker click for a cricket click. Just don't get a Klickety Klick clicker because the clicker of a Klickety Klick does not sound like the click of a cricket like you get from the Crick-it clicker.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Go ahead and put a clicker on. Pay close attention to the feeling of that last squeeze of middle trap as you pull through the clicker. Use the clicker as a temporary device to improve form. A word of caution if you choose a Crick-it clicker you will have a hard time differentiating it from real crickets chirping and experience uncontrolled releases. The only known cure for that is to get a cricket bucket, add a tube of crickets and set them on your nightstand. They will sing to you all night and after a week of so you should be able to tell the difference between the Cricket-it clicker and a real cricket.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I have mine hockey taped to the point where you can't really even hear it. I FEEL it in the string and that's what triggers my shot. Also, there's no shiny steel exposed

This right here will solve noise issues....nice thing you can put on or take off different amounts of the tape and adjust to how loud you want/dont want......

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just don't tape it too heavy. It won't click at all in cold weather. Ask me how I know... But I've never heard of guys having the clicker spook animals.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Yeap I like to crack sticks when deer get within shooting distance so a clicker should be no problem. Whatever happened to common sense. Use the clicker as a temporary device to train yourself what the last mm of backtension feels like. Use that feeling to trigger the release.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Have had southern jumpy whitetails standing right under me that ended up dead while using a clicker. Best deadening method that I’ve found, through a lot experimentation, is wrap the spring steel in layers of electrical tape. With each wrap there’s a measurable decrease in noise to the point of silence. I’ve got mine wrapped so that there’s just a low deadened thump, that you can also feel through the bow. I wouldn’t take my bow in the woods without my clicker, there’s no shame in that game

·
Registered
145 Posts
As suggested above, you can add tape to quiet the click noise. I highly recommend practicing at up and down shots with a string clicker. Your draw length can change and you need to bend at the hip.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I know guys who use clickers and the deer don't seem to hear them or associate them with something to be alerted by. Some of you guys worry about the darndest things nowadays. Jason Wesbrock uses on all the time and has killed alot of deer/elk, etc., with them. Good grief.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I hunted with a clicker for years. I muffled it with Moleskin so it was more quiet, but I never had a critter pay any attention and I'm talking hundreds of critters here. When that thing snaps--It's waaaaay too late. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts