Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hunt out of a tree saddle primarily and am looking for some opinions on the quietest and quickest way to get up a tree. I've owned the Muddy sticks and loved the rope connection and how you don't have to make sure a strap is straight when connecting them. I tried LW sticks but didn't like the strap system they use and felt they were inferior to the Muddy sticks.

I'm thinking about trying the Climbpaws out but wanted some opinions from those who've used them. They seem extremely quiet and light to pack in. If anyone can share some opinions I'd appreciate it. If the climbpaws aren't the answer then I will most likely go back to the Muddys. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I own both, and they both have their time and place (though I just bought the new muddy's, no in the field use yet but have been up and down trees all summer with them). I like the climb paws a lot...quiet, throw them over the shoulder, no metal parts involved. Some folks have a hard time with them, but just takes getting used to. The best scenario, I think, is to use the muddy's to get up the tree, and three climb paws on top (I put the two top paws and one regular all on the same rope). Works great with the saddle or the guido's web.

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks cunningham. I really like the concept of the climb paws. How high up will 10 or 12 of the paws get you?

The one thing I don't like about the Muddy sticks is the possibility of them clanging together. Other than that, I really like the Muddy sticks. My one concern with the climbpaws is how long it takes to get up the tree. I dont want to work up a sweat every time I climb.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I really do like the climb paws. That said, I wouldn't have bought the muddys if I liked them enough to exclusively use them. 10 Paws will get you anywhere from 18-22 feet, depending on how far you space them. Once you get used to using them and get a system going, they don't take much longer than climbing sticks. The real reason I love them is the ability to string them on one strap and use them as my foot supports...if you don't then it is a coin flip IMO. One option would be to just buy the top paws and then muddy sticks for the climbing.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
The climb paws are very quiet and rock solid once set on the tree. The downside is that they have to be installed one at a time which can be time consuming and strenuous and they can be cumbersome to carry. I have a set of 12 and have determined that I wont be using them until I can get myself into better shape. This season I will use 2 or 3 at the bottom along with 3 LW sticks with my saddle. If you are in good shape you can't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks JPW. I'm in good shape so I'm still undecided. I'm kinda leaning toward the Muddy sticks just because I know how easy they are to install and as long as I take my time they should be pretty quiet to set up. Strapping up 12 individual straps seems like it would take longer even though I like how silent they are. They also use a strap similar to the LW, so you have to make sure the strap stays even around the entire tree and I'm not a big fan of that. I appreciate anyone elses opinions on either stick or paws.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Thanks JPW. I'm in good shape so I'm still undecided. I'm kinda leaning toward the Muddy sticks just because I know how easy they are to install and as long as I take my time they should be pretty quiet to set up. Strapping up 12 individual straps seems like it would take longer even though I like how silent they are. They also use a strap similar to the LW, so you have to make sure the strap stays even around the entire tree and I'm not a big fan of that. I appreciate anyone elses opinions on either stick or paws.

Let me summarize my thoughts on paws/sticks...I have decided that the best is a combo of the two. I would prefer not to screw in steps everytime I go up a new tree, so I like getting up the tree with sticks and using the paws for my foot rests. I know I already said it but after reading my posts they sounded like mumbo-jumbo.

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let me summarize my thoughts on paws/sticks...I have decided that the best is a combo of the two. I would prefer not to screw in steps everytime I go up a new tree, so I like getting up the tree with sticks and using the paws for my foot rests. I know I already said it but after reading my posts they sounded like mumbo-jumbo.
Thats pretty much what I was thinking. I already have some ameristep strap on steps to use as my treesaddle platform. So im just trying to get the quickest/quietest way up the tree. And I agree with you that it seems the Muddys is the best option for that. Thanks

·
Registered
548 Posts
Muddy sticks and ameristep steps is the best way currently....i too have dug for better solutions and thats where it keeps ending up.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Haven't tried the others but the climb paws are nice. Quiet and alot more solid than i thought they would be

·
Vendor
90,496 Posts
you cant beat muddy sticks pm if you need help or pricing we have some on special

1 - 13 of 13 Posts