Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given access to 800 acres of prime hunting ground for this coming bowhunting season. My neighbor and his brother own it and neither bowhunt. I have it for the entire bow season before gun season. I need to decide on either a quality climber or hang on. I will more than likely take it in and out with me on every hunt. I need it to be light weight, easy to use and comfortable. Looking for suggestions? Thanks...........

· Registered
806 Posts
If the area has suitable trees, then a climber is the way to go for portability. I use a Summit Backpacker, folds flat, sets up in less than 3 minutes, easy to use, comfortable and quiet. Weighs about 20 lbs. No need for steps, ladders, hassles of setting up and taking down a hang-on.

· Registered
1,009 Posts
Lone wolf

For light weight and portability, no one can beat lone wolf. They are a bit pricey but IMO they are the best stands made. I have the sit and climb and hand climber. I like the sit and climb the best. I also have the alpha hang-on. I bought it at the end of this year and am excited to try it out.

· Registered
389 Posts
I have a lone wolf hand climber and would recommend either this stand or the sit and climb by lone wolf. For the fact that they are both so portable and light weight. You may want to look at a tree saddle, I don't have one but I'm probably going to get one soon and it may fit your bill perfectly!

· Registered
17 Posts
Since its your first year hunting this property id use a climber. Once you figure out the patterns of the deer any cheep lock on will do. As for climbers summit and lone wolf are the way to go. The lone wolf is'nt cheep but its light weight and quiet.

· Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I'm leaning towards the Summit Viper or Razor, especialy the Razor. Anyone want to comment on it? Thanks again.........

· Vendor
85,239 Posts
stand

Well those are great choices. I have had tons of LWolf hangon stands and love them .But they are really made to leave in the tree for awhile but I mostly have to remove them after each hunt on the land I hunt. I had sold my summit cobra but it is just like a razor . I would suggest to go with the summit for comfort but it is heavy vs the LW and the LWwill be very nice to get in and out of the woods just like the summit but I dont think they are as comfortable as the summit. So I would suggest the Summit Razor. I prefer the open front climbers my self. But you will be better off with a climber than a hangon if you have to remove it each time. It can be a pain in the butt to take down a hangon and sticks each time your out. Good luck.

· Registered
2,528 Posts
I'd say roll with a climber.
Considering it's a 1st' year there, and congrats on the access btw, let's say you set up in what you think is a good spot and now the sun in in your face. Much easier /quieter to adjust your direction in a climber. Plus if you get that "I should be in that tree over there" feeling, and actually decide to move for an afternoon run or something along those lines, it's just much less jazz to go though with a climber.
Untill you climb down and realise you left you hook or bottle up in the tree. :D

· Registered
123 Posts
I used the viper last season-a great stand. Lightweight, quick and easy set up, mobile--you can't beat it. Didn't use it with a bow, only with a rifle-the arm across the front works well as a gunrest steadying the shot. Not sure if it will get in the way with the bow or not, don't think so, but I need to break it out and start practicing to make sure.

· Registered
75 Posts
Lone Wolf Alpha Hand Climber. Spend the $$$ you will not be disappointed. Some say the Summit stands are more comfortable. I would have to say this is probable the case considering you are carrying quite a bit more weight into the woods. I am in the woods to be alert and hunt not sleep. I find the Alpha keeps me comfortable enough to sit all day and the ability to move silently when needed. Light weight and low profile. You can't beat them.

· Registered
3,558 Posts
Equlizer the best and you can leavel while you climb you can not beat that

· Registered
556 Posts
Aluminum

All the experienced guys probably assume this...but if you have the money, get aluminum rather than steel simply for the sake of your back hauling it around...whatever it is you are hauling.....

· Registered
111 Posts
My decision on what to get would depend on the area I'm hunting. If you're hunting mature woods with good straight trees then by all means, I'd go with a climber. I'm a long time Loggy guy so that would be my choice. That Tree Walker posted above looks sweet :) I don’t think you would go wrong if you went any of the stands mentioned like the Summit, Old Man or Lone Wolf. As long you take the time to practice with it in the day (and also at night) to get to know it and get comfortable with it and its functions.

If the property is a lot of smaller crooked trees, thickets or lots of hedgerows, I'd be looking into a Lone Wolf loc-on and buy myself several climbing sticks. I'd stick the climbing sticks out in several locations ready to hunt. Steps are good (I must have 100 of them) it's just that I'm too old to be hanging from them trying to screw them in anymore :lol: Just remember, going with a lock on/hang on stand, you can hunt just about anywhere with it. Going with a climber you are definitely going to be limiting yourself to hunting certain areas.

I own 5 climbers, 12 loc-ons and 8 ladder stands. I spend 80% on my stand hunting from the loc-ons, 10% of the other time in ladder stands and the last 10% from the climber (usually only in new areas until I can figure out where I want a loc-on). Best of luck this season and congratulation on getting the 800 acres :)

If you're in the northeast region, I'd give you one on my loc-on and 15 steps to get you started.

· Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thats mighty kind of you Jacob! I really appreciate the offer.

Well.............I just baught a new Millenium climber and baught the loadge sveral of their hang ons for our clients to use. So.....I'm good to go!! Thanks everyone for your advice and help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.