Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have never used a "climber'' tree stand, but plan to purchase one in the future.

Could some of you more experienced "climber" tree stand users please point me in the right direction, there are several on the market I have researched:

Summit X5's
Gorilla's
Cabela's Cable Elite SS Climber
NorthStarr Tree Cat Climber
Non Typical's Climber

What's some of your experiences and impressions?!

Thanks! :tongue:

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Here is what I look for in a climber:

-Lightweight (gonna be carrying it on your back through the woods, maybe for long distances)

-Compact when on your back (I don't like them large or bulky on your back, makes getting through the woods harder, esp in the dark if they bang or hang up on things)

-Sturdy (no need to elaborate)

-Simple (I do not like to have things like nuts, bolts, pins, clips, etc that you need to remove and could drop or could make noise or install during set-up and pack away)

-Ease of Set-up pack-up (need to be easy to use with fast set-up or pack away, that is not cumbersome or complicated)

-Grip on Tree (must grab and hold really well -- you must feel secure)

-Quiet (Must set-up and pack away quietly, must also not creek or make other noises while in it, must climb quietly, must carry quietly)

-Not uncomfortable (It doesn't have to be a lounge chair for me)

-Ease of shooting from stand (I like open stands)

-Weather Impacts (must not have fabrics or parts adversely affect by wet conditions)

Considering all these features I choose the Lone Wolf Alpha-Climber. It is light weight, packs down to less than 3" on your back, does not inhibit your movement through the woods, makes no noise on your back while walking, it is a breeze to pack/unpack, it sets-up fast with no removable peices (I have timed myself and I can go from on the tree to on my back in just over 1 minute, or vise versa), it climbs silently, it grabs the tree exceptionally well and does not move, it is strong, it is solid, so no hollow tubing to echo sounds, It does not obstruct shots in any way, weather has no affect on it. It is not the most comfortable stand out, but I have stay in it for up to 6 vhours without discomfort -- they have a new version with a more confortable seat. There are really no negatives to these stands.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I like my summit python. Pretty lightweight, quite, and very comfortable.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Not trying to bash here but DO NOT BUY A CABELA's CLIMBER. I had one for a year and thought it was great, until I got 25 feet up and the top section bent. Trust me it was scary as hell getting down with a top section that couldn't hold my weight. I weigh about 180.

I now have a Summit Cobra. I love it. It is 10x as sturdy as the cabelas was. Pay the extra cash and get one that will last.

·
Registered
11,104 Posts
Can't go wrong with the Summit.

·
Registered
451 Posts
RobVos - Do you have the hand climber or the sit & climb? I've heard the seat on the sit & climb is a little narrow for a lot of guys.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree with the points RobVos made, but things like weight, comfort and compactness are relative. Where and how you will use it is also relative. I personally use a Summit Viper. I use it in the swamp. It is light enough for me to carry on my back with a daypack for a mile or so. That's as far as I need to go in. While it is an open front climber, it also has armrests that help with climbing and are more comfortable when sitting in a tree for 12 hours. It has been indestructible, and after 2 seasons (about 40 days in the woods) looks and works almost like new.

The one thing that you have to get used to is that it is made of hollow aluminum square tubing, so when putting the cables in you should hold the end of the tubing in one hand while inserting the cable with the other. This minimizes excessive noise when putting it on a tree. Otherwise it is very stable, easy to use and well thought out.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Summit Viper. I love it. The new ones are even better. Comfortable and light weight. Easy to use. I don't know anyone with a Summit that doesn't like it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
summit viper here and tree lounge i will sale tree lounge

·
Registered
890 Posts
lots of good points by RobVos...

You need to determine how you will hunt, to see what's best for you. I hunt NWRs and pack my stand in on my back. I sometimes walk 2 miles into hunt, so weight is huge. I have an API GS lite 2500. I weigh 230#, and it's very sturdy, bites the tree well, and is quiet. If you're leaving it in the woods, weight may not matter, while sturdiness will. Try some stands that your buddies have before you buy.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I weigh 160# and im 6'2.....im 16 1/2..... :tongue:

I just bought an Original Ol Man.

Very compact and simple....best of all I got it for $100!! I thought that was a great deal on one for BRAND NEW. :teeth:

If I had the extra money, I would buy a summit, no doubt! But an ol man is a solid, trustworthy stand, that i will feeel comfortable sitting in.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
i love my lone wolfe and will not get rid of it anytime soon.

i can said this to you,

dont worry about the money

try it befor you buy it.

borrow your fends and try it a few times befor you buy it.

sit in for at less a hour.

dont buy a heavey stand becasue it weighs twice as much after a 100 yards.

and carry and set it up few times befor you buy it.

i know this is alot to do but befor you go out and spend few hundred dollars and find out that you hate the stand it worth the time. i mint be better to find a shop that is nerd woods and asked them do they have demos. what i did after buy two stands and hate them after few hours in the woods, i went to the puplice land and look for hunters during the day walking around and asked them about there stand. most guys will be glad to show off there stuff and may let you try it. i will not buy a tree lounge they are very nice but heavy and very hard to set up quitly. i never used the summit or the viper but i love my lone wolfe and every one i recommend them loves it as well. dont for get what evey on your backs snaggs everything you walk through, so flater the better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i have used the summit viper xl for 3 years now and think it rocks still!!!!

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Has anyone checked out the equalizer treestand. It has self leveling features that could come in handy especially hunting in tose straight pine trees.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Summit...

..I have a Viper XL that I really like. It is light, packs well, is rock solid on a tree, has no bolts (all welds), is quiet climbing, silent once set, and is comfortable. The new Viper X5s are slightly improved, so I think that is the best stand on the market. The only bad thing about Summit is the price, but it isn't bad when looking at other high end stands.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
hunohio said:
RobVos - Do you have the hand climber or the sit & climb? I've heard the seat on the sit & climb is a little narrow for a lot of guys.
I have the Alpha hand Climber. They have made a new seat for their sit'n climb, although I have not seen it in person yet.

I have a couple of buddies who have Summit stands, and they are good stands. But in the categories that I consider the most important, the Lone Wolf is definitely the best. I have also used API stands and a couple other brands as well.

·
Registered
12,018 Posts
cagoodwn said:
I like my summit python. Pretty lightweight, quite, and very comfortable.
... and a SECOND on the Python! A great stand for bow, or firearm hunting.

My first stand was a Cabela's Cable Elite. Nice, strong, sturdy.... but STEEL, and 32 pounds. I liked it once it was set up, but it's not what you want hiking into the Appalachian Mountains for a hunt.
The Python is ALUMINUM, and 22 lbs. BIG DIFFERENCE!

My advice... look for a stand with an above adquate weight capacity, and light static weight. I think you'll find that Summit also offers the widest selection of accessories specifically made for their stands, a opposed to buying universal stuff that is made for every stand. Like cagoodwn said too, it's comfortable. I feel almost like I'm in my recliner when it the trees with it, and have nodded out more times than I care to talk about because it's that good. Also, there are no pins, or clips to drop, and lose in the leaves, or snow while setting up.
Good hunting. :thumbs_up

1 - 20 of 26 Posts