Archery Talk Forum banner

climber tree stands

1120 Views 20 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  05allegiance
How many people use a climber. I use one and i feel that the noise im making in the morining is scaring any deer that may be bedding down around me. Also if you do use one do you carry it in with you the morning your hunting or do you chain it to a tree the day before?
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
938 Posts
I use a climber. they do make a little noise but some times before i can get set up i have deer startin to come to me. some times I carry it in with me dependin on where i'm goin to be huntin. most of the time i carry it out the night before so where i can carry a backpack w/ my gear in the next mornin'. so i can stay out all day.

· Registered
373 Posts
I have a Lone Wolf sit & climb. I carry it in and out every day, of course I sit in it all day long as well. It is very quiet to set up and climb. I usually get into my spot an hour - hour and a half before shooting light. I've tried other climbers and NONE compare to the quietness of a Lone Wolf.

· Registered
153 Posts
I have a Lone Wolf sit & climb. I carry it in and out every day, of course I sit in it all day long as well. It is very quiet to set up and climb. I usually get into my spot an hour - hour and a half before shooting light. I've tried other climbers and NONE compare to the quietness of a Lone Wolf.
I agree,Lone Wolf is extremely quiet to set-up and climb with.

· Registered
3,778 Posts
I try to keep it as quiet as possible but several times I had deer walk by, 1 at about 5 yards! as I was climbing up...this year I climbed up and got settled in for an afternoon hunt only to have a 7 ptr. bedded at less than 20 yards, I couldn't believe it! I don't know if he was deaf or blind or what, if it didn't happen to me, I prolly wouldn't of believed it!
I use a summit for its comfort but a LW is definately quieter

· Widewater Hunt Club
9,411 Posts
Yea, that's the downside to using a climber. It's very difficult to set up in the a/m with out getting busted. More so on pressured deer. I have found that if it's still dark out when you're setting up deer will sneak right in to see what's going on. I usually try to have 4 or 5 stands already set up(some a/m, some p/m). I use screw in tree spikes to get up to where I want to set up the platform, climb back down, take just the platform up with me and lock it in, set up some hooks for my bow, fannypack, and other stuff. Then when I come back down I take the last 4 or 5 tree steps out to keep other hunters from using the stand. That way all I have to take to the stand is my bow and the treestand steps. Like I said, I usually do 4 or 5 stands that way. I also have one climber that I keep that's not set up in case I need to set up quickly in an area that I don't have a stand in.

· THE BAR Bartender
21,423 Posts
I use both fixed position and climbers. I will most often leave the climber cable locked to the base of the tree so I don't have to carry it in and out. Noise has not really been
a problem I use a Summit Open Shot.

· Registered
358 Posts
I set up about 8 to 12 hang ons but i also have a summit open shot, i have no issues with noise. If you have to go in through thick stuff to get to where you want to hunt i could see a problem with that. but as far as setting up its not a problem.

· Registered
1,897 Posts
I use a Aluminium Ol' Man and it is as quiet a stand as I have ever used. IIt is comfortable, but for $40.00 I bought a replacement seat for a Lone Wolf stand and made it even more comfortable and secure feeling.

· Registered
300 Posts
I usually spend the extra time to use it a few times before the season, and find out the best ways to set up quietly. I have to agree that the Lone Wolf belt system is far and above the quietest out there, and I have used just about every system out there. I have hunted out of climbers for 20 years.

· Registered
10,406 Posts
I start hanging all 4 of my climbers arround the 1st of august on public land and i leave them up till end of season.I use ameristep brand and think their fairly quiet.

· Registered
10 Posts
I have a cabelas sit and stand and a summit viper, both of which I put on the tree at the beginning of each season. Generally I hunt 1st thing in the morning and typically am in the tree at least 30 min before daylight. Usually things are pretty settled prior to the time the deer begin to move.

· Registered
2,675 Posts
I use a climber but might be gettin a hang-on to put at the spot where I always use my climber.

I never really made much noise, always try to be very quiet gettin in the stand at dark.

I usually just leave mine out and cable lock it to the tree so that cuts down on noise when having to set it up.

· Registered
955 Posts
I use a Lone Wolf also, very quiet! One hunt last season I went up the tree, set the seat and turned around and there were three deer coming right down the trail only fifteen yards away. With the bow still on the ground secured to my hoist rope, all I could do was sit there and enjoy the view. I could't believe they were right there as soon as I got the seat hooked up.

· Registered
245 Posts
I use the www.treewalkertreestand.com it is very quite. Prior to my first season with this stand, I practiced putting it up in the daylight, then in the dark. I became very good at making ZERO noise putting the stand on the tree or climbing. It can be very quite.

However, a word of warning. Certain trees make lots of noise. Do not climb a hickory tree and some pine and maples can be very bad for noise.

IMO, practice makes perfect!

· Registered
966 Posts
I use a Summit Cobra and love it I hunt out of it 98% of the time. I get in about an hour before day light take my time setting up with minimal noise if any. I hunt public land so don't like leaving stands out. I go out in the spring and cut the brush way back on my routes to my locations so the brush don't hit my stand and clank on the walk in.

The thing with climbers take your time and think ahead.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.