Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my buddies tell me i need to swap to lock ons. i like the mobility of my climbers.
what do you think?

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
bnichols said:
my buddies tell me i need to swap to lock ons. i like the mobility of my climbers.
what do you think?
Climbers all the way, Lock-Ons are good if you only ever hunt in one area at a relatively low height, you start getting 40+ feet up in a tree and they become a PITA.

I also rarely hunt out of the exact same tree more then once a week... I'd rather take my stand with me and always have it as opposed to having it stolen

·
Registered
715 Posts
Climbers, you hit it right on the head......The mobility! I im hunting a new area I have scouted the area and I set up in the morning and see 6 to 8 deer walking a trail and are just out of bow range......about lunchtime I climb down and move the stand to a tree alittle closer and shoot a monster walking down that same trail......and Yes that just happened last year

If I had put a lock on up it would not have been as easy to switch locations! and Probably wouldn't have got a shot at him!

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
There are good and bad points with either stand. I think a guy needs one of each that way all your spots are covered.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
You really need both. My climber can also be used as a lock on, so I am set either way, just carry a few treesteps. That said I use it as a climber 99% of the time. Its so much easier, and if I find something isn't quite right when I get to my spot, a last minute change is no problem.

·
Registered
890 Posts
both

I prefer using my API climber, which is easier to set up and makes me feel safer in the tree. However, some spots are not huntable with the climber, so I have a Lone Wolf lock-on with sticks to access those areas. It's great, but I still prefer my climber. You should have both for maximum adaptability.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
They each serve a purpose.

Lock-on's are put up ahead of time (at least ideally they're up ahead of time) and you've always got the peace of mind knowing they're there (barring theft of course) and can count on a swift, quiet ascent up the tree. They're perfect for areas where you're unable to use a climber too -- you don't need the perfect tree without limbs and a specific diameter range. Downside is they can be an unbelievable monumental pain in the backside to set up, esp if you're putting them up by yourself. If I've ever been close to getting killed in the woods, it was while setting these things up. Also, it's more difficult to just get up and go to another tree should you find the wind is not quite right, you misjudged a particular trail, etc.

Climbers as you alluded to are mobile -- they can go anywhere, anytime -- providing you've got trees in the location you want to hunt that are fairly limbless, which is a huge disadvantage to them. While they're getting quieter and quieter...and lighter to pack around...they still make more noise than gliding up your screw in steps or ladder to your lock-on.

I use both. If, for some odd reason, I had to chose only one type it would be the climber simply due it's nearly unlimited applications.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
If the question is narrowed down to 1 climber or 1 lock-on .... I say climber.

If the option is left to have multiple lock-on stands I say lock-on definitely. I have 8 lock-on stands scattered across 500 acres. Allows me to hunt in the best possible location on any given day. Quiet in and quiet out. And .... I can leave work and be in a deer stand in half as much time compared to a climber.

I still use my climbers but not nearly as much as I use my lock-ons.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Go with the climber

I bought a Loggy "mega transformer" this year and LOVE IT!! Easy to use, lite, and super comfortable..

·
Registered
645 Posts
Go with a lock on and Lone Wolf climbing sticks, it will give you the best of both worlds. Mobility and able to go in any trees. The bad part about climbers is you can't have cover around you and limit so many places you can go because the tree has to be straight and can't have limbs. Lock ons are so much better because you can put them in any tree and use the cover in the tree to help break up your outline.

·
Registered
771 Posts
If i could only have one stand it would be a lone wolf loc on, I have actually timed myself several times. I can put up my lone wolf steps and loc on in 6 minutes and that is at a pace to keep me from sweating (could do it faster if needed) and i can take it down and have it on my back in 3 minutes. To many times the deer are in thick cover and there are no trees to use a climber. Just as the slogan says " Pick a tree....any tree"

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I, for the most part, only use my API climbers. I do have a couple of lok-ons, climbing sticks, and a ladder stand, but rarely use them. I just personally perfer the mobility of my climbers!

·
Registered
37,038 Posts
Never listen to what others say. Do what you want to do. I use a climber 95% of the time and wouldnt want it any other way. I actually dont even like loc ons.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
I prefer my climber as well. I do have a couple lock on types set up in areas where I want to be extra quiet and these spots are in what I hope to be high traffic areas.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
I vastly prefer a climber when it come to comfort, safety and mobility....but they really limit when trying to find a tree. You can put a lock on in almost any tree, but man they are a bear to put up!! If I had private ground I would likely have a mix....'94

1 - 18 of 18 Posts