Archery Talk Forum banner

climbing sticks question

973 Views 14 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  old Graybeard
Hey all, been thinking about trying out some climbing sticks. Looking for about 20' or so. Any recommendations for an easily packable set of climbing sticks? I can deal with weight, just looking for ease of portability.

Thanks
Tony
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
806 Posts
Even though I have used climbing sticks many times in the past, they are a real p.i.t.a. to carry and set up. The best ones I have ever used were from Cabela's. They were 16 ft. and you could buy a 4 ft. extention. And they were made of aluminum so they were relatively lightweight. And they didn't cost an arm and leg. I do not think that they sell those anymore, only the steel ones, which are heavy as [email protected]#$. I had them stolen one year and never replaced them. Now I use the cheapest ones I can find, usually something from Walmart or Dunham's. Anyway, the best way I found to carry them is to strap them together in a bundle and then strap them onto your stand and use the carry straps with a small strap across your chest and a waist strap so that you can balance the load, which will unfortunately be large. I know that Lone Wolf makes some lightweight sticks but my gosh they cost a fortune. Why? Good question I guess you pay dearly for convenience these days. To sum it all up, this is the very reason that I started using a climber a few years ago. Not worth the hassle for an old guy like me anymore.

· Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Skip, that's what I was looking for. I just have issues with climbers, can't seem to get comfortable in them. I'm not thrilled with heights, I deal with it, but I like a solid base.

Tony

· Registered
401 Posts
Lone Wolf!! I own a couple different types of sticks but if I'm packing in and out LW's are my absolute favorite choice. Extremely lightweight, very well made, very easy to set up, very quiet to set up. Best out there IMO and I'm sure a lot of others will agree.

· Registered
5,379 Posts
I have both lone wolf sticks and a set of ameritep rapid rails and I like the ameristep rapid rails better. The aluminum are very light weight and rock solid. THey pack together much easier and I like the big enclosed steps on them. The lone wolf sticks have very small steps and more than once I have been close to having my foot slip off of them. Most guys here love the lone wolf and they are very well built but I like my rapid rails better.

· Do it in style!
2,319 Posts
if I take my time I can set up my LW sticks in the dark quietly, I just use bungee cords to secure them to keep them extra quiet while packing them in or out. They pack super good sideways on my LW stand. Plus this puts them closer to your body which makes it seem lighter.

· Registered
Mathews Chill X
6,897 Posts
im with ya

Skip, that's what I was looking for. I just have issues with climbers, can't seem to get comfortable in them. I'm not thrilled with heights, I deal with it, but I like a solid base.

Im with ya tony. I never used to fear anything until i fell nearly 20 feet out of a climber on my head. It was a stupid mistake by me, and I didnt yet strap in :-/. I just cant feel comfy in a climber.

· Registered
801 Posts
climbing sticks

make sure the steps fold both ways, if you buy any. I have some lone wolf ones and some cheeper ones. They are about the same except the steps on the cheeper ones fold only one way. If I could find the cheeper ones that fold both ways that would be the next ones I would buy. I bungee three or four of them to my lone wolf treestand, its about as portable of a setup you can have.

· Registered
468 Posts
Lone Wolf, but...

Another vote for the Lone Wolf sticks. However, their finish is way to shiny for my tastes. I recommend scuffing the finish then painting them duller. I like to use that plastic dip coating that is normally for tool handles. I brush it on and leave it thick and clumpy where not in the way of the steps. On top of that (it is black) I spray a number of shades of grey or green. It certainly ruins the 'nice' finish it comes with but it hides much better against the bark.

Good luck, be safe.

· Registered
16,024 Posts
I love the sticks they are nice and the price is right for spots that you leave setup. If your going to be packing them around you really need a set of Lone Wolfs, do it once and do it right:darkbeer:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.