Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got permission to hunt a new woods. A lot of shag bark hickories (too dangerous to use a climber) at least where I would like to hunt. He doesn't mind if I hang a stand but would prefer I not screw in steps. I would like some recomendations on a set of climbing sticks that I can carry in and out of the woods, are easy to set up and climb and will get me to the 16 to 20 feet range. Need to get a set soon so I can get them stands hung.....only 3 more weeks.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
API makes them in aluminume.They are only sold by bass pro shop. If you dont mind the extra wieght the ones at YALL*MART are fine.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Since you will take them in and out with you each time you hunt, IMO the only choice would be a set of Lone Wolf Climbing sticks. Three sticks get me to 15 to 16 feet and only weigh 7.5 lbs.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
I like the Rapid Rails by Non Typical. They will work in a variety of situations and trees.:)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Ive used both

I've used both the rapid rails and the Lone Wolf climbing stix. For what you want to do the climbing stix will be better. They stack better are smaller, are much quieter than the rapid rails. Very safe and secure and relativley light. Rapid rails are good but I like the lone wolfs better. You can also alter the Lone wolfs to make them go up a little easier, so you dont have to climb down to get a stick every time. I have four sticks and feel I can get to 20 feet easily. I am not so sure 3 will get you that high

·
Registered
596 Posts
Lone Wolf

I've used Lone Wolf for a few years. They strap on fast, they're lightweight, and most important they are rock solid and work well on crooked trees. Give them a try. You may find other brands that are less expesive, but you won't find any that are better made!:wink:

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I have the API 20' sticks, and I have some the lone wolf sticks. I can easily get 20 feet up with 4 of them, and they pack real nice, and weigh next to nothing.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Lone Wolf or Summit both make some good ones. The Summits(that I have slip together to assemble) are great for straight climbing, the Lone Wolf are great for crooked trees.Both are easy to set-up and take down.

·
Registered
472 Posts
lonw wolf

I use The lone wolf Hang on stand and sticks, I Think they are fast light and safe. I have not Tried to climb a shag bark with them though. I would look for a different type of tree to climb, My favorite is a small beech tree There are always small strong branches to use for climbing and trimming to hold my gear. Now **** what type of alteration are you talking about that makes these climbing sticks easier to use you have my un divided attention.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Easy

Pull the black pluggs out of the ends of the sticks. Buy some square aluminum tubing (got mine from Lowes) that will fit inside the Lone Wolf stick. Take the top step off one of the sticks and insert the aluminum tubing. Drill it out and replace the step. Cut the tubing off with about an inch or two sticking out the top. Cut notches in the in the aluminum so that is slides around the bolt in the bottom of next stick. Do this on each stick and you can stack them before you put them on the tree. Attach the first stick to the tree, climb up on that stick, pull the remaining sticks out of the 1st and attach the second, and then keep going. Much easier than climbing up and down with each stick, quieter too.

Hope that makes sense. Took me about an hour to get it done. All you need is a drill, hack saw, a wrench and pliers.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Lone Wolf

These work great, and with available branches you could potentially climb higher than 16 ft. with three sticks. I have four and can easily reach 20 ft.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Summit Buck Steps

At only 10# they are light enough to carry in and out, easy to put up and take off, and a snap to climb. I believe they cost less thhan LW too if that's a concern. I usually use a climber but these work great for a hang on and only about 18" long.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts