Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about some lone wolf climbing sticks to use to get up to my hang on stands. A set of three would be fine and if I want to go higher I'll use screw ins from there on. I was wondering just how easy they are to use? Can you put them up quickly and quietly and take them down that way also? I hang a few stands but am wary of someone stealing them since they've done it before. I've drilled holes in a couple of trees and used bolts to get about 12 feet up then put screw in steps in from there...take the bolts with me when I leave and so far, no problems with theft. I don't really like drilling and it's not very easy to move a stand during the season making all that noise. Sorry to ramble but don't want to spend money on the sticks if there not as easy as they appear to be. I don't want to leave them on a tree.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
The sticks are much easier than the steps. But remember, easy to put up, easy to take down.

I have one spot I leave my sticks up. The other I won't because they will be gone upon my return. But as I type this I remember, they stole my screw in steps too!

·
Registered
930 Posts
i take two of the lone wolf sticks and put them up. then screw steps up to the stand. when i leave i take the lone wolf sticks with me .they are light easy to carry/easy and quiet to put up.and most of all i still own them and my high dollar lone wolf stand!

·
Aim Small-Miss Small
2,827 Posts
I bought some a few weeks ago and have been using them in the yard some on different trees and I can see them being great for putting up-down( on the go hunting). I leave the house before day light with my work and I have been putting the up in the dark, they work great. About 15 16 foot is my max! I just ordered the lw lock the other day.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Gorilla Climbing Sticks.

I bought a 20 ft Gorrila climbing stick the other day for $ 50 from Gander Mountain. It is the nicest climbing stick I have ever used including the expensize loan wolf ones. It has 5 4ft sections with a very easy and quick strap system for conecting to the tree. It also comes with grip tape on the steps to help prevent falls. The light grey color really blends well into the trees. I put it up in less than 4 minutes including my stand and wasn't overly heavy to carry back into the wood. The straps can also double to bundle the sections together and didn't make any noise on the way back in. For the price they are tough to beat.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Idea for theft prevention

I’ve used sticks for a few years w/o a problem of theft. Here’s what I do, I put them together and drill a hole where the pieces meet. Then I have a cable with a loop on one end, about 8”. I loop that around the bottom section’s foot. Then lace the cable through the holes in the sections. At the top of the cable I have another loop, about 2”. I run my tree stand cable lock through that. All my locks are combination, I got tired of loosing keys and you can set your own combo. The trick is to drill a hole large enough to accommodate the cable and upper loop w/o loosing strength in the sticks. Also to find a cable small enough that will still provide protection. You have to crimp the loops and not use the threaded cable securer thingys.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Tree Suit or Tree Saddle, you cant steal what aint there!

·
Registered
307 Posts
J8 10-27 said:
I’ve used sticks for a few years w/o a problem of theft. Here’s what I do, I put them together and drill a hole where the pieces meet. Then I have a cable with a loop on one end, about 8”. I loop that around the bottom section’s foot. Then lace the cable through the holes in the sections. At the top of the cable I have another loop, about 2”. I run my tree stand cable lock through that. All my locks are combination, I got tired of loosing keys and you can set your own combo. The trick is to drill a hole large enough to accommodate the cable and upper loop w/o loosing strength in the sticks. Also to find a cable small enough that will still provide protection. You have to crimp the loops and not use the threaded cable securer thingys.
Bolt cutters go through those like butter. Chained treestands won't stop a thief.:confused:

·
Registered
898 Posts
RangerAngler said:
Bolt cutters go through those like butter. Chained treestands won't stop a thief.:confused:
Nothing’s theft proof, they could cut the tree down if they wanted it bad enough. The cable system I use keeps honest people honest and it eliminates the target of opportunity. Most people don’t carry bolt cutters with them in the woods. Unless you’re sitting in it, it’s not totally safe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts