Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's everyone's preference when it comes to climbing sticks? Summit, Loggy Bayou, etc. etc. Pro's/con's?

Lien2

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Lone Wolf are the best ones CURRENTLY on the market. I know of another brand that may come out in the next 6-12 months that will blow them out of the water though.:eek::wink:

-ZA

·
Registered
172 Posts
To me it depends on how you use them..If they are going up and staying for the season then I would personally buy the 4 sections for about 40-50 dollars. No need to buy the light weight easy packing lone wolfs if you don't plan on packing all the time. However if you are all over or use one or two stands in different places all year then I have to agree the lone wolfs are very nice to pack and quick to set up, expecially when you have a nice lone wolf stand to go with it..

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To me it depends on how you use them..If they are going up and staying for the season then I would personally buy the 4 sections for about 40-50 dollars. No need to buy the light weight easy packing lone wolfs if you don't plan on packing all the time. However if you are all over or use one or two stands in different places all year then I have to agree the lone wolfs are very nice to pack and quick to set up, expecially when you have a nice lone wolf stand to go with it..
Good point. I would be putting them up early in the year and they MAYBE be taken down once or twice all year and moved, but more than likely up in the same spot all year.
ZA....whatcha got comin' out?! Should I just wait to buy something? :wink:

Lien2

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Good point. I would be putting them up early in the year and they MAYBE be taken down once or twice all year and moved, but more than likely up in the same spot all year.
ZA....whatcha got comin' out?! Should I just wait to buy something? :wink:

Lien2
Well.... if you are planning on putting them up and only taking them down once or twice all year, I'd reccommend the cheapo steel tubing style sticks that go on sale at Wal-Mart or Dicks. You can buy more of them, and you are out less if they get stolen....

My sticks will be an UPGRADE to the Lone Wolf sticks.:eek::wink: Take everything you like about the LW sticks and I've made it better, except for the weight... mine are slightly heavier than LW, but you'll never notice it!:becky:

-ZA

·
Registered
302 Posts
As already mentioned, if you put them up and leave them up, get the cheap steel stick ones. I have 2 steel sets and moan about the weight carrying them in until I look up the price of the aluminum ones (2X). Only Caveat is they usually use attachment straps and you need to periodically check for wear (sunlight wreaks havoc on synthetics), and squirrel damage.

Plus, look into the rope with prussik knot safety system. Once you have used it, you will feel naked without it, especially when climbing into and out of the stand.

·
Silent Death
2,895 Posts
If you are not going to pack them in everytime. I like the Rapid Rails. The Lone Wolf's are the best on the market at this time, in my opinion. But they are more than you need if they do go in and out with you. I would never wanna leave my Lone Wolf anything in the woods over night.

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,530 Posts
If you are packing them in and out the Lone Wolf sticks are the best on the market by a long shot.

If you aren't doing as much packing and want to save a little money the Rapid Rails are a good option. They are actually pretty light and they nest well (given the length of each of the 4 sticks is slightly diff.). They also have the new cam buckle system just like the Lone Wolf sticks so they are very easy to put up. Plus they are probably the most secure sticks out there - like climbing a ladder. I find them to be a bit noisier than the LW sticks though.

Again though, for packability along with one of my LW Alpha hang-ons the LW sticks cannot be beat (but they aren't cheap! - you need 4 sticks and you'll pay about $150 or so for them)

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
lone wolf

I like the Lone Wolf. Great for carrying. I also use them if I am leaving them up for a while. I take the bottom 2 back out with me. heh

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I like my Lone Wolfs. They are very packable and easy to put up.

·
Bowhunter
5,209 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Love my Lone Wolf sticks. I have four and use the shoulder strap to carry them. I really didn't care for the way they strap to the LW stand, plus I usually strap my backpack to the stand. The sticks are extremely light weight and set up really quietly and fast. The only bad thing I can say about these would be the price...but if you want quality you have to pay for it.

I also use the Gorilla climbing sticks for my stands that stay in the same place throughout the season. They're pretty cheap and they're a little heavier and bulkier but very sturdy and strap on easily. I use screw in tree steps 3/4 of the way up the tree and use one or two sets of Gorilla sticks for the rest of the way up. The last stick would be about shoulder level if I'm standing in the stand. It really makes maneuvering yourself into the stand a lot safer and easier. I can keep both hands gripping the last stick until my feet are firmly planted on the stand.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I have a bunch of the cheapies from walmart and dick's sporting goods that I got for like 20$ I put them up early in the season and leave there all year. So cheap I don't care if they get stolen.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts