Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know nothing beat a hang on stand if you leave the steps in or ladder stand for that matter, but if you are hunting game land you cant use screw steps .And I do have a set of climbing sticks but I think they are a little hard to but in a morning hunt in the dark , I fill that Iam going to fall as I install the sticks specialy the second and third , then again , going up and down to get the second and third climbing stick, I think is time consuming, and I think using a safety harness is pain while you install the stick specialy going up and down for the sticks .Thats why I use the lone wolf climbing stand. And if you can use screw in steps in your hunting area ,I think thats a pain too .Have you ever but a screwing step in the dark even if you aready have the hole prepared? I think thats hard and not safe, holding with one hand while you screw the step , no way!!! and if you use a safety hardnes while you climb dont you think it take time to install the steps. Please let me know how you guys do it and if theres a ease way to do it . I know its not a race, but getting in the tree stand as soon as possible and as quiet as possible is importand taking in cosideration safety. PS-- I do use a safety belt but I do it after Iam up , not going up or down.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I always put my sticks together on the ground, then put it up against the tree. Just climb and secure on the way up. But I would hate to try and do it in the dark the morning of the hunt. That's what a climber is for!

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
I thought the very same thing at first. Then , sssssssnake gave me some tips. If you do a search under my posts, you may find the answers you are looking for.

One biggy.....do you have a SOP safety harnes that converts to a linemans harness. It really does help and leaves both hands free.

I still have some trouble with the lock on type, but everybody says it gets easier and becomes second nature.

ps: I'm not there yet, and when I'm not walking a lonnnnng way,
I still use the climber.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I like the mobility that you get with a climber. I hunt public grounds and to leave a hang on or set a hang on every time you hunt would not be practical for me. Deer patterns change as the season progresses and with my climber I can usually get to were the action is.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you have a piece of secure land and you know who the deer use it a lock on stand with ladder is the way to go.

Unfortunatley, the other night I went into mine and found some SOB had cut a 1/2" brinks cable liock and stole the stand....land was not as secure as I thought.

So, back to my climber which has the benefit of not telling this thief were I will be...(he had better not show up when I am around).

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
For any/all of the public lands that I hunt, I wouldn't consider using anything else but my climber.

Besides, my climber is alot more spacious than the 1 hang on stand I have and use.

David

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
For me, heights are not my favorite thing, especially the part of stepping onto and off the stand. A climber eliminates that part.

Although I'm thinking a buying a hub style blind to set up in seconds and stay on the ground!

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Pretty much the only thing that I use is a climber. I have used screw in steps and then hooked the climber up. JMO, but they are much more comfortable then a hang on, which means a will stay in the woods longer!

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I like the options of both. With a climber you are limited to certain trees,with a strap on a person can set up on a variety of trees with
different diameters. If you are moving often then the climbers the way to go,but if an area is dialed in without alot of pressure and private than I prefer the strap on for sheer quickness,its already there and you are hunting immediately. My one gun stand on my 60 is in a perfect bottleneck funnel and doesn't need to be moved.
I like owning and using both,different tools for different situations.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.