Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently inherited a climbing tree stand and I have no idea how to use it. Does anyone have any insight on how to work these things? I've always hunted from the ground or a ladder stand, never a climber. I was given some quick tips on it, but they don't seem to be working. I'm having a hard time getting the stand to come out level at the top...it wants to angle down on me from the get go. it seems like as soon as i put weight on it at the bottom of the tree, the bottom section levels out. I was looking for an instructional video or something online, but am having a hard time finding anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bobby- You need to take the tree's taper into acount as you set the cables or chains at the bottom. You'll need both pieces angled upward at the bottom of the tree. The severity of the taper between the bottom and where you plan to hunt from will dictate how much angle you need to start with. If you end up feeling like you're about to fall out of the stand, you'be underestimated the taper.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got all of that setup, but the stand itself doesn't seem to want to climb. could i have it too tight at the bottom of the tree? why does the bottom section seem to level out immediately, but the top section is so tight that it doesn't want to climb the tree?

i have the stand starting out at about a 45 degree angle, with a tree that is relatively the same all the way up, but the stand still feels like it's angled down at the top. the bottom of the section is angled down farther than the top.

is there some trick to putting the stand on the tree? it doesn't appear to be a one man job, or at least a quiet one man job. maybe i just have a crappy stand and need to invest in a newer one, that's easier to use.

do you know of anything online that will guide me through the setup process? how about a video i can purchase?

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
bobby_C said:
I've got all of that setup, but the stand itself doesn't seem to want to climb. could i have it too tight at the bottom of the tree? why does the bottom section seem to level out immediately, but the top section is so tight that it doesn't want to climb the tree?

i have the stand starting out at about a 45 degree angle, with a tree that is relatively the same all the way up, but the stand still feels like it's angled down at the top. the bottom of the section is angled down farther than the top.

is there some trick to putting the stand on the tree? it doesn't appear to be a one man job, or at least a quiet one man job. maybe i just have a crappy stand and need to invest in a newer one, that's easier to use.

do you know of anything online that will guide me through the setup process? how about a video i can purchase?

If the tree that you are trying to climb doesn't taper that much, then lessen your angle. As for the quality of the stand, if it is real old, it might not be the best for being quiet. I use a Summit Viper, and I can put it up quiet, climb quiet, and it is very easy to climb with. The stirrups are real easy to get your feet in and out. Don't be discouraged with climbers, just keep trying, I think that they are the safest stand to hunt from. Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts