Archery Talk Forum banner

Climbing Tree stand

1562 Views 25 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  moser22m
Good Morning All,

Hope your hunting season is going better than mine! As I was out hunting this weekend I realized my climber is quite uncomfortable and it's probably time for an upgrade. I am looking for thoughts and opinions on climbers that are suitable for larger men such as myself (6'4 290 lbs). I have been looking at the Lone Wolf Wide Sit and Climb Combo and the Summit Goliath. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions. Weight isn't the biggest deal to me as I don't hike in super far. I prefer more comfort and roominess as well as known the stand is going to be nice and sturdy. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks and good luck out there!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
1,703 Posts
Been hunting out of my Summit Goliath for several years now. Comfortable completely describes this stand. It doesn't creek or groan when you move either. One thing I suggest would be to dump the Summit seat and go with the Hazemore seat. That's my personal feeling regardless of treestand model.

· Registered Deer Hunter!
3,019 Posts
I have a summit and love it. I'm not as big as you but I'm not far from it. I use the hazmore seat with the hazmore back pad and wow is it comfortable. Also the thirdhand bow holder and stabilizer straps are a must have for any climber. The straps lock the top to the bottom and makes it very sturdy.

· Registered
4,020 Posts
As you prefer comfort to weight and being a bigger guy id suggest summit. I own xop hand climber, sit and climb, summit viper and bushmaster. The summits will have better comfort and room for a bigger guy. The lone wolf/xop pack nicer a little quieter but smaller and less comfortable.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the opinions guys! Just looking at Summit's website and it looks like the Max 180 is the same size as the Goliath. Has anyone used this stand and is it worth the extra money?

· Registered
1,069 Posts
Thanks for all the opinions guys! Just looking at Summit's website and it looks like the Max 180 is the same size as the Goliath. Has anyone used this stand and is it worth the extra money?

My father uses the max 180 for gun hunting sometimes, and he owns 2 of them. He said he loves them for gun hunting because he prefers to face the tree. He hates bowhunting out of them though. If you'll be using it primarily for bowhunting, I'd go with the Goliath.

· Registered
473 Posts
Here's another thumbs up on the Summit. I use the Titan simply because I pack the thing over a mile to and from my hunting spot. With all of my gear I'm at 335lbs, and 6'6". I find it quite comfortable during an all day sit.

· Registered
831 Posts
One thing that a lot of guys overlook is the footrest. Try out ones like Ol Man's Drone or Alumalite Grand, you won't believe the difference the front angled bar makes. You'd think you were in a recliner. They are a little bulkier packing in, but once you are seated you'll be comfortable enough to fall asleep. Nothing to worry about if you are tethered.

Attachments

· Registered
5,226 Posts
I get some of my best naps while harnessed to a tree ;) I use a summit sling seat on my climber and those are comfy too!!!

· Registered
103 Posts
I have had both lone wolf sit and climb and a summit viper sd. Comfort goes to summit for sure, while packability and silence goes to lone wolf. They are both easily climbed. It all depends on how long your sits are. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.