Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After alittle scouting of some new land I got permission for I went out tonight to hang a stand. Semi tough place to hunt due to it's an old golf course which was clear cut and tilled into farmable land. Anyways found a good area where deer have a beat down trail going across a creek. There's one good solid tree to hang a stand from nearby so I get my sticks up and start to hang stand. I am was wearing a muddy harness with the linemans rope on. Get stand up and double strapped which are new ones plus the chain wrapped and locked around the tree, I step onto platform to attach my treestrap and SNAP!!! The bolt that goes thru seat post which holds both cables breaks and the platform slams straight down against the tree trunk. Luckily I still had my linemans belt on and kept as tight as I could with movement. Other than slamming my knee into the climbing stick I am fine with a change of draws. Just thought I would share I feel very lucky that I am ok. The stand was set about 21-22 feet up on the edge of the creek had I not been wearing the linemans rope it could have been alot worse.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
That is why I stay strapped in. Glad you are ok.

·
Registered
594 Posts
what kind of stand is it?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a bushmaster I believe. I traded something for it two years ago and it was brand new in box and there was no rust anywhere on the stand. I used it about half the season last year and used for awhile earlier this summer in back yard without problems.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I always use my Muddy harness and linemans belt. Great product

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
glad you're alright man. scary stuff right there.. that's why i'm swapping out cable and hardware on all my older stands this year.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Glad you are alright!!

And some people still don't use safety harnesses??? :angry: :angry:

·
Registered
485 Posts
I've never had a bolt snap and I leave my stands up year round most the time. Please don't take offense by this, but I'm wondering how much you weigh? I am 210 and wondering if I need to worry about bolts shearing?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe it is a bushmaster ? It was brandnew in box last season used it from Nov-Jan and about two months this summer. No rust anywhere on stand and I weigh 135 lbs. Not sure why it went but glad I atleast had on the linemans rope. I will be going to hardware to get some hardened bolts to replace the broken one and any others on there for sure. I had a ratchet strap at top and one in the middle. From now on I will be putting one on the bottom as well.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I believe it is a bushmaster ? It was brandnew in box last season used it from Nov-Jan and about two months this summer. No rust anywhere on stand and I weigh 135 lbs. Not sure why it went but glad I atleast had on the linemans rope. I will be going to hardware to get some hardened bolts to replace the broken one and any others on there for sure. I had a ratchet strap at top and one in the middle. From now on I will be putting one on the bottom as well.
Using hardened bolts is a good idea, I replaced the cables on my old stands with chains and used hardened bolts too. The last thing most people probably worry about is a bolt snapping on new stand, so hopefully everyone who reads this and doesn't wear a harness will rethink it. Did the bolt shear off or did it bend, maybe it had a defect?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It sheared off, only thing I found was one of the washers. Granted it had tension on either sides from the cables so they could have went anywhere.I will chalk it up as a defected bolt and replace them all. The other thing I forgot to mention as I was walking back out a life flight chopper flew over me leaving the local hospital. Talk about a clear sign.

·
Cull-buck magnet
825 Posts
What did the lineman's belt catch on? I always think that a lineman's belt gives you somewhat of a false sense of security because you can still slide all the way down the tree if you slip off of a step. Or am I missing something? Luckily, I have never had to find out the hard way. I do always use a lineman's belt, but I also try to maintain three points of contact.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts