Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im new to 3d and i was at my 2nd shoot last weekend and there was a hog set up at about 3 yards i heard people saying to use your 30 or 40 yard pin. Is this right? if so how does it work?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pin

These guys wouldn't be tough to compete against! Did you try it??
naw i didnt wanna risk it i just held my 20 real low. but i heard several different people saying it. there mus be some kind of reason behind it.... mabe?

·
Registered
645 Posts
I've read this in a bowhunting magazine talking about shooting turkeys out of a blind from very close range. It has something to do with the arc of the arrow flight. Hard to understand, but I've heard it before.

·
Registered
95 Posts
30 or 40 may not be enough

I have shot that same pig several times. It's more like a 40 or 50 yard pin at 3 yards. Look at your short yardage conversions on your archers advantage program (if you shoot any field archery you probably already have) it will tell you the same thing. It has to do with how the arrow initally comes out of the bow (low to be precise) I don't know how to explain the physics, but they were right. The other guy that posted "they wouldn't be hard to compete against" must not have shot this pig many times.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
nationlas last year there was a turkey at like 3 yards (my stab was almost touching it) set the sight at 80 yards..pin wheeled it!

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Its actually all in knowing how your bow preforms. If I have a shot at 4yds and my bow is shooting 280 I set my scope for 44yds which will put me dead on.I have never tried to figure out why but common sense says it all has to do with the path the arrow travels just like a bullet it does not fly flat from point a (bow or gun) to point b (target).It is all in a path of an arc.

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
The line of flight, which starts with the arrow leaving the string and passing over the rest, is obviously not in the same plane as the line of sight, which is through the peep and through the pin.
The Line of flight would always be slightly upwards, to compensate for gravity. Objects are always affected equally by gravity. A bullet shot from a gun at 0 degrees elevation, and a bullet dropped from the same height at the same moment will hit the ground at the same time, just much farther apart than when they started.
Most of us have our first pin, or mark, set for 20 yards. What we are doing is making the line of flight, which starts several inches lower than the sight, meet the line of sight at the same point. After that, we are "Super Elevating" to compensate for the effects of gravity on the arrow. We do that by raising the line of flight. We use a lower pin, or lower the single one. This raises the plane of the arrow off the rest.
By using a 40, 50, 80, whatever mark or pin to compensate for a close shot, what we are doing is bringing the line of sight down to the flight path, where it is at close range, and making them meet.
Since we do not sight down the middle of the arrow, and the arrow doesn't fly like a beam of light (straight), we are always compensating to make the two things (Line of Sight, Line of Flight) meet at the "Point of Aim".
It's basic Physics, guys.

·
Banned
405 Posts
Thats a complicated answer! The easy answer is that the arrow is coming of lower than your sight it doesnt meet up with your sight till it gets to about 5 yards !!! So it is true that anything up close , i meen spiting distance you use your 30 or your 40 pin ! It will drill it everytime its great practice!!! Its also a good way to win money from your buddies!!!!!!:)

·
Registered
511 Posts
:rain:

·
Registered
548 Posts
try shooting 20 yds ,15 yds 10 yds , 7 yds , 5 yds , 3 yds, and point blank.
you'll be surprised at the results and then you will know what to do on the course:thumbs_up remember to draw back and anchor at level then bend at the waist.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
i have shot 5 yards by placing it between 40-50 yards pin. worked for me.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
it works. On real close shots I hold my 40 yard pin dead on.

·
Registered
936 Posts
3 yd shot is my 50 yd pin. We set this one once in a while at our indoor 3-d shoots. Makes guys think about what they are doing.:wink:

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
My sight mark for 3 yards is about 45 1/2! That will put it dead in the middle!

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Thats a complicated answer!The easy answer is that the arrow is coming of lower than your sight it doesnt meet up with your sight till it gets to about 5 yards !!! So it is true that anything up close , i meen spiting distance you use your 30 or your 40 pin ! It will drill it everytime its great practice!!! Its also a good way to win money from your buddies!!!!!!:)
Not entirely correct. Depending on the bows performance and individual factors, the point at which the sight evens out is 12-14 yds. With my setup, it's 13 yds. That is the point at which I no longer have to set the sight at a longer distance than what I am shooting to hit where I want to hit.

·
Catch us if you can!
5,716 Posts
so when your turkey hunting from a blind and a gobbler closes to five yards you guys put your 40 and 50 yard pins on it??? :mg::confused: just doesnt seem right

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Here's another way to look at it. When you shoot your bow, the arrow rises up and falls into the target at every distance from about 14 yds and beyond based on it's performance. If you are shooting at a target (Turkey) that is closer to you then you have to hold your bow higher as the arrow does not have the chance to rise on it's own due the short length of the shot.

Try it in you backyard. Your 20 yd pin will hit low at 5 yds. GUARANTEED!!!

·
Electified Archer
3,275 Posts
I set up the 3-D league at our local shop and just to mess with people I will set up a small thick target like the beaver or turkey at about 3 yards and sit back and watch. Most people will shoot this target very high and end up with a five if not a zero. It;s really funny to sit there and watch them scratch their heads with a real puzzled look on thier face.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts