Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out for my daily session in the yard. Came as close I ever have to a robinhood...... hole in the center of my nock and a chip on the base of my beeman! Should I cast away the arrow? The nock still seems to fit snug. I'm more worried about the integrity of the carbon fiber's though. Also was shooting my BH's, one practice for each brand..... sonic & Slick Trick. They shoot the same as FT and for each other. I think ST are getting the nod for the first arrow released(hunting) this year.

·
Bowhunter
5,203 Posts
If the shaft is damaged do not shoot it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
McCann said:
only bad things come from damaged arrows!
yep, you don't want to simulate a dry fire!

·
Registered
92 Posts
toss it

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
Thanx ......:tongue: :cry: :cry: Thought that would be the verdict. And not even a real robinhood:embara:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Do what I do, take a hack saw and saw it into and throw it in the trash as soon as you see an arrow that is not safe. Other wise you will always try to convince yourself you could still shoot it. Look on here for that thread where the picture of the arrow through the guys hand. You will do what I suggest then.

Ranchdog

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
19,441 Posts
Did the same thing yesterday to a brand new axis arrow. I gave it a durabilty test after I saw the damage. Results... they're pretty tough to snap in half. But you get a nice clean snap, no splintered carbon.

·
Registered
20 Posts
In the hand

I was at a pro shop this past week and a State Trooper was there getting some new arrows. He was picking throught the heaviest spined aluminum arrows he could find because a brand new carbon exploded in his hand two or three years back. He had a brand new Mathews Outback (i think) in a case that hadnt been shot since because he was scared to shoot.

Get rid of it!!!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
asking for trouble?

I've been cutting off the damaged area and refletching. Never had a problem with arrows after the bad part was cut out but is that tempting fate?

·
Bowhunter
5,203 Posts
MartinS said:
I've been cutting off the damaged area and refletching. Never had a problem with arrows after the bad part was cut out but is that tempting fate?
I guess your arrows were too long to begin with? The recommended length is usually 1" past the contact point on the rest. If you cut out a damaged part from that length you are risking your hand or worse. I would never shoot anything less than 1" past the rest contact point at full draw.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Midlife Crisis said:
I guess your arrows were too long to begin with? The recommended length is usually 1" past the contact point on the rest. If you cut out a damaged part from that length you are risking your hand or worse. I would never shoot anything less than 1" past the rest contact point at full draw.
Yea I wouldn't shoot an arrow less then an inch past the rest either with field points. All my arrows are bought so broadheads clear the front end of the riser by a 1/4" which makes them 3" past the rest. Never been a fan of a broadhead over my hand at full draw when using a rest that sits behind the riser. My wifes arrows stick out a couple inches past the riser just to get the proper spine using GT 33/55's with her light draw weight. Cutting a half inch of possibly damaged area off isn't a safety issue so far as arrow lenght for us.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts