Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For me,it was about 4 years ago.I was set up on this Oak Ridge line,that traversed a Shallow Creek Bottom.At first light,a Plump doe offered a shot at the 20 + yard mark,and the arrow flew true.While trailing the Doe,she started going up the side of a draw,that was heavily choked with Red Brush,and Sumac.I was only on the does trail for a short while,when i heard crashing coming down off the hill that i was perched on.To my amazement,a 8 pointer was within 9 feet of me,and was completely unaware of my presence.He had picked the worst time to greet me with his presence,as my bow was at my side,with my fingers grasping the string,in a carring position.Licking my wounds,i heard another deer coming,on the same trail that the first buck had came down on.This time i was ready ,I Thought,with the arrow firmly settled into the string,and my antisapation was running on Hyper Drive.What should appear, but a 150 Class Buck,that was a very handsome 10 pointer,that stopped at the same tree,that the first buck ,had just vacated ,with his head turned away from me.9 FEET! Man i was already tasting the chops in the pan,and i settled into my anchor,and at the release,my carbon arrow sounded like it was hitting every tree,on the hillside.Ill never forget that one.I learned to be extra carefull,on the chip shot's,especially when my spirit is in warp drive.Found my doe,and yes i had a unused Buck tag,in my possession,but that one,was not to be.Got to Love It!

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Highstander,
I think we all have at least one of these stories. :rolleyes:

I shot at a buck that was directly below my stand as he walked in from right to left. There was a fence that was pushed down and was only 14" high off the ground to the immediate left of my treestand and I placed a 35mm film canister of vanilla extract (on cotton balls) just on the other side of the fence. My thoughts were that as a deer would smell the vanilla, it would walk to the fence, stop, lean its' head over to sniff the canister and this would give me the shot that I was looking to take. :cool:

It worked! The first deer to wander in did exactly as I had planned, BUT I had not practised a straight down shot with this bow. :rolleyes: I should've used the 30 yard pin instead of the 20 yard pin for that close of a shot. As it turned out, I shaved some hair off his ribs and he's probably still running today.:p

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I feel your pain,,,buck directly under me......never knew I was in the woods...straight down shot...just put the sights on the hair and shoot....oops to the left in the dirt...and to add humilation..he looked up at me.......and stuck his tongue out!!!!never again...i will practice those down under shots!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Kildog,
Was that another one of your bowhunting trips where you ran out of arrows? My suggestion to you is to get a bow quiver that will hold about 24 arrows.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Gotta tell one on my brother. :D 2 years ago we team called an nice 5x5 bull into him...6 yards. So close he couldn't draw but when it turned away he drew and had a point blank 14 yard shot...right over it's back. The bull spooked but only ran about 6-7 yards and stopped broadside again at 21 yards. You know it...he missed AGAIN over it's back and that time the bull left the county! I still don't let him forget it.
Good hunting to all.

H

1 - 8 of 8 Posts