Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I washed my camo with a scent suppressing detergent and when it was finished it didn't have a noticeable odor to it. So I hung it out to dry. After it dried it had a very strong detergent like smell to it. So I left it out over the entire weekend hoping that it would dissipate. No dice, still has the strong odor. Anybody else have this happen? I made a batch of homebrew scent killer but that had no affect.

·
Shaaaaazam!!
7,703 Posts
Homebrew scent killer(at least what i make)..Is meant to suppress an kill Body odor an the bacteria that creates BO...What brand of wash did you use??An did you run a few loads or normal clothes through the washer with your soap before washing your camo??

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, it is the family wash machine. But it hadn't been used that day. The odor on the clothes smells nothing like the family detergent.

I had used Wildlife Research Center 99%. Because Brock Lesnar scared me into it!

·
Grumpy Old Man
26,816 Posts
Is it possible it didn't rinse enough? I know that can be a problem with the newer high efficiency machines if you use to much or the wrong kind of detergent in them.....:noidea:

·
Shaaaaazam!!
7,703 Posts
Unfortunately, it is the family wash machine. But it hadn't been used that day. The odor on the clothes smells nothing like the family detergent.

I had used Wildlife Research Center 99%. Because Brock Lesnar scared me into it!
I always run a load or 2 through of normal family clothes with SPORT WASH(it odor free an UV brightener free)b4 i wash my hunt clothes.32loads out of a 5$ bottle.Even if i get home at 9 in the evening an plan on hunting the next day I try an wash this way..Cooperation from my spouse washing a load or 2 while im out hunting helps speed the process..Or if money isnt a option use sport wash on all your washs all season.. ....If you keep foreign odors off your hunting duds(not saying u dont) then you only need a good scent free wash.I have always used sport wash an my version of home brew scent suppression spray...I am no expert but this is what i do..My overall tactic from wash till im in stand is pretty anal an time consuming..

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
I got a second washer/dryer set up for it.

But, having a supportive wife when only one washer/dryer is a big deal. She switches to the non-scented detergents for the hunting season and I'll do a load of my hunting towels first before the clothes. I tend to wash hunting clothes more than most hunters do, but it works well for me. It's also nice when I get home from a hunt and the old lady's already fired up the washer and ready to go when I walk in the door.

·
Shaaaaazam!!
7,703 Posts
I got a second washer/dryer set up for it.

But, having a supportive wife when only one washer/dryer is a big deal. She switches to the non-scented detergents for the hunting season and I'll do a load of my hunting towels first before the clothes. I tend to wash hunting clothes more than most hunters do, but it works well for me. It's also nice when I get home from a hunt and the old lady's already fired up the washer and ready to go when I walk in the door.
The 2nd set isnt a option for most of us..But that is a kick :censored: set up!!Like I said I wash mine almost after every sit..With the exception of Split day hunts(am/pm with a break between)..

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
The 2nd set isnt a option for most of us..But that is a kick :censored: set up!!Like I said I wash mine almost after every sit..With the exception of Split day hunts(am/pm with a break between)..
Yeah, it's actually really useful to have that second setup - only cost about $200 total to do. Old lady can do her normal wash (I try to pretend I do normal laundry but I do maybe 10-15 loads a year if I'm lucky). I can do mine without issue.

I wash undergarments even between split hunts (and shower a second time)...usually because I'm chowing food or napping on the couch for an hour or so. Alot of work, but worth it.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
http://charliesoap.com/

we use this on all our clothes all year round ... scent free and mild...rinses clean. I also wash my hunting clothing in this stuff...its great and its cheap...

as others have said try to run an empty load or a load of towels or rags with your scent free soap before doing your hunting clothing. and always double rinse your hunting clothing to make sure all the soap is out...

could also be your water if you have highly treated city water it may take a chlorine smell or something like it...

·
Shaaaaazam!!
7,703 Posts
Yeah, it's actually really useful to have that second setup - only cost about $200 total to do. Old lady can do her normal wash (I try to pretend I do normal laundry but I do maybe 10-15 loads a year if I'm lucky). I can do mine without issue.

I wash undergarments even between split hunts (and shower a second time)...usually because I'm chowing food or napping on the couch for an hour or so. Alot of work, but worth it.
I can see washing an drying between same day hunts with a Camo only washer an dryer set up..I only hang dry my hunt duds because of the single household dryer...So I am pressed for dry time..It is even cutting it close at times on late evening hunts then heading out the next day..

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hang dry outside so the dryer doesn't stink up the clothes. I never thought of running a load or two in scent killer before my hunting clothes, good idea.

However, I still seem to think it has something to do with hanging them outside. It will take some time but I will wash them again and hang dry them out of direct sun to see if that helps. The thing that gets me is that two garments have this odor and the others don't! go figure.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
I hang dry outside so the dryer doesn't stink up the clothes. I never thought of running a load or two in scent killer before my hunting clothes, good idea.

However, I still seem to think it has something to do with hanging them outside. It will take some time but I will wash them again and hang dry them out of direct sun to see if that helps. The thing that gets me is that two garments have this odor and the others don't! go figure.
I know you said it's a detergent smell...but could it possibly be a mold/mildew smell similar to what a washer smells like if you stick your head in it?

Could be heavier garments that take longer to dry outside or spots that didnt get envough ventilation to dry (say being hung over a line uneven, etc.).

Some of my long sleeve cotton camo tees smell different than my fleece duds after washing. It very well could be material differences. In either case it shouldn't be pronounced.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
I can see washing an drying between same day hunts with a Camo only washer an dryer set up..I only hang dry my hunt duds because of the single household dryer...So I am pressed for dry time..It is even cutting it close at times on late evening hunts then heading out the next day..
2 car carport and a couple fans...lol. Trust me..been there...done that!

·
Registered
912 Posts
So I had a similar issue last year. I bought some cheap camo and I think the actual cloth smelled different. I think if you put some leaves and such in a big ziploc bag and actually let them decay a little you will help squelch that smell, or at least replace it with something natural.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I rewashed my camo last night and then dried them in the dryer. However, I first washed and dried a set of towels prior to washing the camo. They came out of the washer with a strong detergent smell and the dryer took some of it out. Once dry, I sprayed with Primos Silver and that seemed to take the odor down quite a bit. Am wondering the washing recipe for the detergent auggests to use too much detergent @ 3 tablespoons per load.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I use two tablespoon of baking soda for the wash cycle and in the final rinse cycle I put in 4 oz of aqpple juice and then let dry outside. Everything seems to be no scent except for a faint hint of apples.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts