Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just planted a new plot friday. It's a 60x60 ft plot in the middle of the woods. There was a few maples in the area. I had to clear about 8 trees, drop about 400 lbs. of pellet lime and till down a few inches. I spread red clover and some brassicas. I checked it today and the clover was already about 1/2 inch sprouted. The deer always moved over this plateau on the hillside but it has been hard to funnel them. It's about 100 yards across. I'm hoping this pulls them to one side a little closer to my stand. I can't wait to see what pops up on my trailcam. Just gotta wait until turkey season is over and the clover is a little higher. I'll post them here if I get anything worth showing off.:teeth:

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Do you have any problem with clover growing in the woods? I'm assuming it doesn't get much sunlight.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sunlight

It gets about four hours of sunlight in almost all areas. The center probably gets 5-6 hours. My father and I have planted a few like this and have had no problems. Actually sometimes a little shade helps keep the area moist in mid summer. It's been working for us. Can't wait to see what we get out of this plot, It's the deepest in the woods we've tried.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm gonna try to get down there this weekend. My camera is not working for some reason, but I'll get some pics with my phone. I hope they are clear enough.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pics

Here it is, just two days under two weeks. I'm not sure how well the green shows in the area shots, but the close up is an average area near the middle. I'ts been a bit cool here. I wish it would get warm and sunny now. We've been having plenty of rain too.

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First Trail Cam pic

Got this buck after leaving the trail cam for a week. Thought I'd post it. Hopefully I get a few more. I also put one of a fawn that we caught with it's mom in another plot. I don't know how anything is even growing there, Mama is there day and night. I'll post more if I get anything good.

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where's dad???

Nice,having trouble sleeping yet?:wink:
Hoping to see his dad. Some of the deer I've seen in velvet around here were a little bigger than this guy. I've gotten a lot of deer out of this area before I put this plot in. I'll keep up with the pics if I get any good ones. The only thing keeping me from sleeping is waiting to go get my memory card from the cam every week. lol

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
very nice progress, thanks for posting up some pics. That's alright if momma is in there night and day, she is feeding bambie good nutrition that will get him off to a good start (if a boy anyway).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts