Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in NE Wisconsin and have decided I am going to plant some type of white clover for a VERY SMALL food plot. (apprx 25ydsx25yds)... When would be the best time to till fertilize and plant? Im afraid of planting it either to early and having them eat it all, or planting to late and spooking deer out of the area or getting a cold spell before it gets a chance to grow... Thanks!

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
I live in NE Wisconsin and have decided I am going to plant some type of white clover for a VERY SMALL food plot. (apprx 25ydsx25yds)... When would be the best time to till fertilize and plant? Im afraid of planting it either to early and having them eat it all, or planting to late and spooking deer out of the area or getting a cold spell before it gets a chance to grow... Thanks!
I would plant in the spring and fertilize. Ck. PH levels.

Crazy Wolf.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Check with your local county extension agent. They would know the best clover for your area, along with planting instructions. A soil test will save you time(and money) in the long run.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks I did a pH test so I'm ready to go on that but when would you plant it? Now? Or in a month or so? ALso... If the deer eat it down can I just throw some more seed over it during the summer and fall and expect it to grow? Thanks again!

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
thanks I did a pH test so I'm ready to go on that but when would you plant it? Now? Or in a month or so? ALso... If the deer eat it down can I just throw some more seed over it during the summer and fall and expect it to grow? Thanks again!
The temp of the soil is key to plant time. May is good if weather stays consistant. Nothing wrong w/ over seeeding , specially if some areas are patchy. Use a garden rake to dig in, seed and cover. Once it starts to grow the roots will go deep and secure the plant.

Crazy Wolf

1 - 5 of 5 Posts