Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for you guys who compete on the club level. I am the president of our local archery club, where we hold 3D matches, paper animal shoots, and spot shoots. My question is this: If you paid $10.00 to enter a match, and won the match, what would you expect for a prize? Trophies, money or prizes? Or since it is a club shoot where they are just trying to raise money to pay the bills, do you not really worry about prizes? Really want some feedback on this subject.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
When I shoot at my own club, I'm usually happy to just be there shooting so payback isn't such a big deal.
Bragging rights don't cost a dime, if it is just local club shooter, and no "guest" shooters, getting their name on a brag bard that gets added to each year could be a good idea.

For the larger "club" 3D shoots, doing a special money round can be a good idea. Once all shooters have shot the course, random pair high/low shooters and score best arrow. A $20 per person buy in with a 75% (split 1st 2nd 3rd) payback will give the top team some cash back and the club makes a little more money.

I would try to avoid cash paybacks other than listed above, it gets hard to give an amount and still make some money for the club.
Are there any club members that have special talents, carvings, craft, .. you get the idea, purchase something form them and use it as a first place prize.
Gift cards to a local shop may be a good idea. You might get a deal on the value because it would be good advertising for the shop.

If you do get into paying cash back, 3x the buy-in for 1st, 2x for 2nd and 1x for third would have to be a minimum. But BE CAREFUL, you need at least 7 shooters in every class you pay back to break even. You may have to pay back limited places depending on the number of shooters in a particular class. This is why I advise to stay away from cash payback.

Mitch

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is difficult to keep everybody happy and coming back. Our shoots are open to anyone, and so far there has only been one instance where the winner was given a gift card, and he was very offended by it. He thought he should have received a large sum of money. We're talking about 30 competitors in this match. On our 3D shoots, probably 90% of shooters don't even turn in a score card. These guys do it because it's just fun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts