Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In "your" opinion who would be the best to go with far as coaching spots for a newbie that more than likely would need improvements in all areas :D

I am not picky far as where in the lower 48 states they are, I have no problems traveling by air. Though I do have a preference that they be somewhat near a airport. Since I have a issue about driving and feel they shouldn't have to go out of their way such long distances to transport me to and from the airport. ;)

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
for a newbie there could be many choices. Any coach can help a newbie. If you have the cash you can contact Dave Cousins in ME. There are other coaches such as Frank Pearson and Bernie Pellerite that may be good with beginners. Terry Wunderle may be a good one. i think Dee Wilde coaches as well. I am not sure how many other coaches there are out there that would take you in for a weekend. Your best bet would be to find a coach closer to you. Where are you from? Another way to decide is to find a coach that teaches what wou want the best. What things do you want to know and/or learn? Getting a coach right away is a GREAT idea and it is what everyone should do. I wish I did. Most people in the US (including myself) decide it is time for a coach when thier shooting goes downhill or they can not reach thier goals. In my opinion it is best to get a coach BEFORE something goes wrong, that way things will be less likely to go wrong in the future.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Navigators,

I will tell you like I tell anyone I think that thier is no contest when it comes to coaching for compounds. Dee Wilde is the best I can't see any others out their that have any better shooters than his. He also knows equipment more than any of the others which is a big help. We had a guy come up and shoot with us and work with dad and then next month he whent to the world outdoor trials and did ten times better then he thought that he would. Their is also a local kid that Dee helped and he shoot the NAA indoor nationals and he finished in 13th not to bad for his first big shoot. His students have all done great and I think he could give you a great start. You can PM or email him.

Best of Luck

Reo Wilde

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
My top 3 for overall coaching as far as equipment knowledge, mental game, and personal experience actually shooting and winning major titles would be

1.) Dee Wilde
2.) Dave Cousins
3.) George Ryals

These guys have shot in VERY major shoots, all 3 have shot perfect scores at Vegas, some own several world championship titles and too many national titles to count.

Dee has many, many years of experience with the compound bow, plus he owns 3 pro-shops! He is full of knowledge and also full experience when it comes to shooting under pressure. He has taught his kids to shoot very well to the point where they are both pros. He was the first to shoot a perfect indoor inner 10, 18 arrow and 12 arrow match. His son REO has had a very good year, winning te world indoor championships, national indoor championships (FITA) , Shooting perfect at Vegas and Kansas City, as well as them both maing the world outdoor team (FITA)

Dave has won more world and national titles than anybody and knows how to tune a bow. He is the most consistant archer in the world. He is Almost never below a 555 NFAA outdoors (out of 560) ALWAYS shoots above a 590 Indoor FITA (out of 600). He has broke 1400 Outdoor FITA far more than anyone ever has and there have only been several that have done it. Talk about shooting under pressure! This is the only guy who shoots targets for a living! He has to shoot well to survive! lol. Dave has won every outdoor NAA national tournament he has shot as well as every NFAA except for one. He has also taken every world target title for FITA with the exception of indoors I believe. He has held a number of world records and currently holds the world record for Indoor FITA with a 598 out of 600. he has done that twice. that is shooting 58 pennies out of 60 at 18 meters. Dave has been on every world championship team he has tried for.

George does not get around much but when he does WATCH OUT! He has won national championship titles and has shot many perfects at vegas. Last year he shot perfect at Vegas as well as Kansas City. He works for Martin Archery and helps develop the most accurate bows in the world. When it comes to equipment and indoor shooting this is definately your guy.

Why did I choose these 3? 1.) Experience in shooting at the potential you want to be able to reach (many coaches do not shoot at a high level or at all themselves) 2.) knowledge on equipment 3.) Just becuase they are so darn nice :) 4.) They mostly learned everything they know by trial and error themselves and not by others. ( at least Dee and Dave anyway) 5.) I have never seen an unhappy customer 6.) these guys know why they shoot great, they are not the ones who shoot good and not have a clue what they are doing lol.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brad Rega-I am in Lincoln NE if it wouldn't have been for another AT member who lives here, I wouldn't be even asking this question or not alone shooting a bow.

I have checked around Southeastern Nebraska but can't seem to find anyone that is NAA certified or has the wins and experience to back them up. Too I am at that point that I feel I need to see more of the country side other than the rows of corn.

Reo-That sounds very tempting I hear Idaho is very pretty country right along with Washington and Maine. You got me thinking :D

Like Brad Rega mentioned I want to work on my issues before they become "bad" habits. I know a friend that seen another AT member for some advice and his confidence level has has jumped dramatically when he learned what he was doing wrong and how correcting that tightened his groups at longer distances. He said he never dreamed that he would see that day, "its strange what punching the trigger can do" he told me.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
yup Navigators I don't think there is anyone in Nebraska even close to being as good as these guys. I was having this conversation last night with Plainsman about not having anyone in Nebraska. Perhaps he is the friend you are talking about? I assure you gettting a coach right now would be the best thing you could ever do. I know right away by your idea to do this you will get really good really fast.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brad Rega- You hit that nail square on the head, if it wasn't for him I would still be sitting on the shores of the local lakes hoping that the fish might bite some day. In my entire 25 years I have never come across some one that is so patient and open minded when working with people like he is. :) Plainsman suggested the same far as getting a coach right away.

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
1) top competitors are not always the best coaches. Sometimes the personality needed to be a top shooter is not the same analytical personality that leads to good coaching

(Lloyd Brown is one of the very best coaches of recurve archers in the USA-never a top FITA shooter-same with Darrell Pace's old coach-charlie Pierson-a legend in flight archery, not FITA though)

2) I think Terry Wunderle is tremendous-he coaches my wife and has helped me. His students have a pretty good track record-Ashley Kamuf won the world indoor, and the world Jr Outdoor and now is on the USAT as a recurve shooter. She is one of many of his students. Sally Wunderle has done ok too!

3) I have seen Tim Strickland and find him excellent but I don't know of his availability. His mental game coaching is top flight

4) Len Cardinale in New Jersey has probably forgotten more about archery coaching than most people will ever know

5) I have been to Bernie's schools. Despite the negative stuff you will hear about him, he has a good solid program that works for most people IMHO

I have never heard a bad thing about Dee Wilde from anyone but I don't know him personally. Same with Mary Zorn's coach Kevin Eldredge

I also note that I have yet to meet anyone who is more knowledgeable about archery form than Don Rabska

there are also some excellent people out there that few have heard about but really know how to teach. Some of them have the paper credentials, and some don't. Some NAA level IV's are excellent, some guys without any "papers" are just as good

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
What do I need to do in order to get in touch with some of those that Jim C metioned, besides Dee Wilde

Everyone that have been mentioned so far seem like a great option to take.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Thats correct Jim C. some of the best coaches are not top competitors. Many top competitors need help from others such as Dee. But these 3 guys can help themselves. My top 3 were based on overall ability (experience on the line, and equipment). IMO you can't go wrong getting advise from someone who has been through it. Look at Terry and Bernie, they get some negative feedback. Why do they and Dee or Dave don't? experience on the shooting line is the answer. Like someone is going to tell Dee or Cousin Dave something he said was BS? give me a break lmao. Any advise given to me by any of these guys has never had me think other than what they said. Especially when I get the same answer from both. They REALLY know thier stuff. Most of what they do can work for everyone, they do not have anything really out of the ordinary in equipment or form that can not be easily duplicated.

Kevin is a great guy and very funny. I know he coaches Mary and many JR USAT world teams but I am not sure if he takes people in. I am sure he would. He is actually the mayor of his town. He lives in Utah though Iam not sure how close an airport is. I will PM you contact info.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
I agree with Brad

I know from personal experience that Dave not only knows his stuff but he knows how to convey that knowlege to his students.
You won't find a more knowlegeable, concerned, and attentive teacher. He doesn't miss a thing and he will get the very best out of you. Dee has forgotten more about archery than most people ever know. He also is personable and has the personality to convey his wealth of knowledge to his students. George is a great teacher, great archer, and great guy. I don't know if George does formal coaching however. With any of these three guys, you know that they speak from experience and can not only talk the talk, they walk the walk. JMHO
Jbird

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Larry Kelly, you've never heard of him. But you will, very soon.;)
Dylan

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Brad Rega- When is the best time of the year to "travel" for something of this nature. Where both Dee Wilde and Kevin Eldredge are in the middle of the Rocky Mountians I was always told that from October to March is the wrong time to travel through that area. Correct me if I am wrong. :confused:

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
Brad-I think you might reassess your comments about Terry Wunderle. I think he has won a national title or two:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts