Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the 80 acre wood lot wher i hunt has a mine that has just started blasting adjacent to the proprty I can feel the ground shake when they blast . do you think that will cause the deer to change there patterns .

·
Registered
522 Posts
uh do ya think

heres yur sign...

just kidding ..

yes they are very in tune with there suroundings .. disrupt them and they will leave ..

the area i hunt is weather sensitive a out of place early cold storm made the whole population leave one year this rarely happens.. it only usually starts snowing in december but one year we had a light snow in september.. confused they migrated further down and into a refuge .. can't hunt there..

that year all we saw was a few does and 1 or 2 spikes who were left behind.

normally there are bucks everywhere ..

same thing happened one year when they were doing heavy logging..clear cutting the land.. that year sucked too..

but the following year alot of new growth .. lots of bedding for them and they were everywhere..

so friend i'm afraid this year your out of luck... :cry:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Have they ever blasted close to this sight? I work @ a sand and gravel quarry we have 2 other plants that blast for limestone I'll ask one of them what the wildlife did when they blast. Ones a hunter so I klnow he would be in tune to what they were doing. I'll get back with you.

·
Registered
826 Posts
when they start blasting it could effect the way they travel,but I use to hunt on a quarry property and you could easily feel the ground shake when they would blast but they have been doing it for so long the deer got use to it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
wow what a great way to get the acorns to drop early. lol
incoming take cover!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
they just started this week and so for its only once or twice a day

·
Registered
893 Posts
Mining

Blasting Just started?,Would be better if the blasting had been going on for some time,Deer may have got use to the blasting.

·
Swish...............Thunk
322 Posts
No problem

I worked ar a military range for a while and we had problems with deer out on the range when people were shooting. We would have to call cease fire till they had finnished crossing. Same deal with the artillery range. They would get out of the way of the actual blasts but they never left the area.

·
Banned
193 Posts
J3100 said:
the 80 acre wood lot wher i hunt has a mine that has just started blasting adjacent to the proprty I can feel the ground shake when they blast . do you think that will cause the deer to change there patterns .

If they are hauling coal from it just ask some of the truck drivers if they see any deer........If they have been running equipment in the area for awhile I dont think the blasting will scare them......................

·
save the decoys!!!!!!!!!!
7,033 Posts
i work at a huge open pit coal mine here in wyoming. we have multiple blasts everyday.
deer and antelope everywhere. occasional mountain lion too. they dont mind a bit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts