Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I think it might be pretty good in a bow, but it is a heavy wood. I've worked with it for other projects. Coconut palm wood has no growth rings and the heartwood, or center of the tree, is softer than the outer portion. This is the opposite of most hardwoods. Palm wood is also very fibrous, almost like bamboo except it has no imperfections along its length from smaller branches or nodes like bamboo. Most palm wood is on the dark side - like mahogany. It takes a finish well and it's very resilient - it has to be, palm trees can take high winds very well without breaking. Lots of spring in coconut palm wood.

Be aware it has a high oil content and it may resist some adhesives. I have only used W.E.S.T Systems Epoxy on coconut palm laminations and it seemed to work okay, but I didn't stress the work as a bow would be stressed. You'd have to make some small test samples and bend them to failure, see what you think.

All my coconut palm experience was from trees in Key West, Florida. I know there are many species of palm and they all vary to some degree. Always make test laminations first. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
I've used a lot of Black Palm and Red Palm in bow handles, but it's too brittle for the working radius of bows. I can imagine Coco Palm being much like it, though never handled it to know for sure. I know historically palm has been used in tropical areas for bows, but like Native American bows, they were typically shot with a long string, -0- brace height, so the working radius was much narrower in band.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts