Archery Talk Forum banner

Code Red or Tripwire?

1131 Views 16 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  blasterak
Looking for input from people that have used both as to what you think the better one is and why. I am a Limbdriver guy, but looking for a rest to try on a spare bow. I like to play with new things so when I can get some funds I am interested in trying one.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Live with passion
7,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried the Tripwire? Containment is not really an issue with me. I lean towards the CR, but want to hear more. The original RC was IMO one of the worst drop away rests, but the CR sounds way better.

· Registered
15,685 Posts
Have you tried the Tripwire? Containment is not really an issue with me. I lean towards the CR, but want to hear more. The original RC was IMO one of the worst drop away rests, but the CR sounds way better.
You have no bounceback issues with the new one. 90% of the ripcord problems where due to bounceback and improper rest setup. I have never had any issues setting one up and i have done probably 1000 of them now in the last 3 years. The new code red is about as idiot proof so to speak as it gets. Mount it to your bow. cock the rest up, set you centershot and vertical position(make sure the launcher is not touching the shelf of the bow, this is where the bounceback comes in but that is not a problem on the new on), press the bow and feed the cord through, or lightly attach the football. Draw the bow back let the cord self set itself, pull about 1/32" more cord out. Draw bow again to make sure the rest functions properly and the cord tension is not too tight cut and burn the cord and your ready to go. I helped to test the prototypes of this rest and when setup properly your arrow/fletching will bounce of the back of the rest before it hits the tongs of the rest. Even with a nock low setup you will get clearance and even on the fastest bows it will fall in plenty of time.

· Hoyt Nation Life Member
15,100 Posts
You have no bounceback issues with the new one. 90% of the ripcord problems where due to bounceback and improper rest setup. I have never had any issues setting one up and i have done probably 1000 of them now in the last 3 years. The new code red is about as idiot proof so to speak as it gets. Mount it to your bow. cock the rest up, set you centershot and vertical position(make sure the launcher is not touching the shelf of the bow, this is where the bounceback comes in but that is not a problem on the new on), press the bow and feed the cord through, or lightly attach the football. Draw the bow back let the cord self set itself, pull about 1/32" more cord out. Draw bow again to make sure the rest functions properly and the cord tension is not too tight cut and burn the cord and your ready to go. I helped to test the prototypes of this rest and when setup properly your arrow/fletching will bounce of the back of the rest before it hits the tongs of the rest. Even with a nock low setup you will get clearance and even on the fastest bows it will fall in plenty of time.
Of the thousands of rests you've set up, what were some of the down falls with the Trip Wire ???

· Registered
15,685 Posts
Of the thousands of rests you've set up, what were some of the down falls with the Trip Wire ???
That is a thousand ripcords. The only drawback of the tripwire is that it has no bounceback deterrant. Bounceback and plastic working parts that wear are two of the biggest problems with dropaway rests. They can also be a little mind boggling for some people because there is a lot going on with the rest as far as the workings. Otherwise it is a high quality rest. I prefer the full capture, the reliability of a rest that has been proven as a top seller across the country from day 1, and a company that is not a huge corporation, where you can actually talk to someone if you call and they will stand behind their product 100%. IMHO the next best rest out there is tied between the vaportrail limb driver and the new trophy taker, i believe they call it the smack down.

· Registered
1,002 Posts
I don't know anything about the Tripwire but I've been a diehard fan of Ripcord since they first came out. The rests work great, simple to set up and solid. The customer service is as good as it gets. Why would you need customer service? Well things that get alot of use do wear out. Like the cord that attaches to your cable. When you need a new one call Ripcord and they'll send you one. Need a new spring they'll send you one. They're super friendly and available to answer any questions.

· Registered
5,381 Posts
I'd probably go with a ripcord between the two. I like the slow letdown feature that the new tripwire has just like the QAD, but in my testing it would drop sometimes if I let down a little too quickly.

· Live with passion
7,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the responses. I will probably give the CR a try because I have heard such good things about them. I still think the older RC's were not very good. . . seen too many break and fail to drop, but these seem to have all the issues fixed.

· Registered
1,677 Posts
My freind has a tripwire and I like the fact that you can lock the launcher in the up position for hunting. Does the CR have that feature? I see where it says "two position containment arm-up/down position" doesnt make it clear enough to me so I thought Id ask here....thanks!

· Registered
5,381 Posts
My freind has a tripwire and I like the fact that you can lock the launcher in the up position for hunting. Does the CR have that feature? I see where it says "two position containment arm-up/down position" doesnt make it clear enough to me so I thought Id ask here....thanks!
Yes the code red can be cocked, however if you do a slow letdown the rest will fall. Just something to know.

· Registered
2,099 Posts
Ripcord for sure, I got a tripwire on my current bow and its OK. Not too impressed with it, it seems "cheap", and it's easy for the arrow to fall off the launcher. But all in all its an ok rest, but needless to say i am in the market for a Ripcord code red for my bow now....go ripcord

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.