Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now it is -19 actual temp and -39 wind chill. I wanted to sit tonight but I can't handle this. Hopefully it warms up to around 0 or so.
How cold is it where you are?

·
Play hard...Die happy
637 Posts
Right now -1. Don't know about the windchill. Debating on sitting tonight. Haven't been out since the 16" of snow on Wednesday.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I don't know how you northern guys handle these temps. We think its cold here when it gets down into the teens.

I also don't know how you handle the length of the winters. That would wear on me after a while :mg:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
-12 in Brookings too cold for this time of winter

·
Registered
450 Posts
-10 straight up in Gary, SD. Lookin for that big +5 high today! :sad:

Warmer +20 starting tomorrow...mid teens for weekend...it's time to roll.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
0 and -13 windchill right now in Warrens. Didn't look at the thermometer when I woke up around 4:30. Tomorrow looks even colder though.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Another South Dakotan checking in....

-18 this morning when I left Wolsey at 6:00 AM

-16 when I arrived in Watertown at 8:00 AM

All of the outdoor swimming pools have closed.

Shot a buck December 13th after sunset. 3 degrees with a 15-20 mph north wind. Only able to hunt for about an hour that evening. Saw at least 30 deer. It was cold. Not as cold as it is today though.

·
Registered
477 Posts
It gets that cold here (in northern NY), too, but not during the deer season. Man, that's cold!
The South Dakota archery season started on September 26th this year and goes until January 31, 2010. It's always colder than a well-diggers *ss here in January. Only antlerless deer can be taken in January. That's still 3+ months to kill a buck.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
The South Dakota archery season started on September 26th this year and goes until January 31, 2010. It's always colder than a well-diggers *ss here in January. Only antlerless deer can be taken in January. That's still 3+ months to kill a buck.
My season ended 12/6. I think the coldest I hunted in this season was around 17*F. That's cold enough!

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
I don't know how you northern guys handle these temps. We think its cold here when it gets down into the teens.

I also don't know how you handle the length of the winters. That would wear on me after a while :mg:
oh bleieve me they do wear on you... especially the lack of sunlight and cold... i could never live in the south where the seasons dont change as much though... its sweet to go from 90+ in the summer to 0ish in the winter with snow and ice... make life fun but more expensive since hobbies change as the seasons do...

·
Registered
450 Posts
nice buck Ron..well done. I shot an archery deer first week of October about 60 degrees..ah the days..! I like having an extra archery tag for this time of year..you can see a lot of deer and snow down is great.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I sat last night and it was 4 when I went in to the stand with around -12 wind chill and when I got back to the farm it was -2 with a -16 windchill and I actually didn't get cold. I saw a lot of deer also. Finally the river bottom is froze and the deer have returned home! Now if I can just make it happen with my recurve :confused2:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Got darn..........LOL! And I been complaining about 16-22 degree weather......guess I'm spoiled.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts