Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have problems every winter having to tweak their sight to match arrow fight? I get that puppy dialed in the fall and it’s true up until about 40 degrees and then my arrows start hitting low. I’m 90% sure my sight and rest are not moving on me (I have ticks where they should be once sighted in).

Is it just the nature of cold limbs? Am I imagining things? Time for a new bow (please say yes 😝)?

Ps. I’m running an old Hoyt ZR200 @60lbs. 100 gr fixed blade Muzzy’a on Archers Edge 250 arrows (400 spine).

· The Impartial Archer
24,826 Posts
Can't help you.........I haven't seen that. Many people in the past have started these threads and "maybe" some bows could do that but I have never owned one that would.

As a hunter I practice my first shots a LOT and it's on if it's 85, 40 or 15.........I don't hunt much where it's colder than the teens.

What I have seen is people that need to get warmed up to shoot well so their POI can change or heavy clothes or gloves that change your POI when it's cold and that you didn't wear when it was 85 deg and you sighted the bow in.

My guess would be it's not the bow. Look in detail and try to find out the real cause. Good luck

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok glad to hear that’s not something I should be worried about and should instead focus on form and clothing interference. I’ll practice at home with all my cold weather gear on and see how that affects my accuracy. Thanks fellas!

· Registered
Hoyt RX7 U, Mathews V3X, Halon 32, Elites
8,514 Posts
Last winter I left my ventum out in freezing weather. I shot my freezing bow at 30 yds and it was a few inches high . I laid it in the sun and shot it in the afternoon and it was spot on at 30 yds…. I’ve often wondered if it was the stiff, cold, hard limbs and aluminum riser that added a few FPS that made my bow shoot hiGH. Perhaps some material engineering archers can opine….

· Registered
4,381 Posts
This is somewhat unrelated. But I work outdoors a lot and its amazing how much changes at only about 35 degrees. Electrical cords get stiff, some plastics start to become brittle, especially if they are a little older. Caulks and other mastic type products get stiff. Some products are not even supposed to be applied at those temps. If I take a bow from the basement outside to shoot. I let it sit out to acclimate some if its really hot or cold. If I go to a different climate and altitude I always check zero. Gunpowder can be effected some too. Some are more temp sensitive, and you get less pressure at colder temps.

I would not totally discount that there is some difference in some bows and arrows. And no doubt when you get cold and fully clothed and then shoot from an hunting position, you could see some impact difference. Its not the back yard on a sunny 70 degree day and you in your flip flops and t shirt and Bermuda shorts. Standing on perfectly flat ground and using your best tournament archer form. Its the real world.

· Back Yard Champion
35,889 Posts
I hunt whether hot or cold. 20 degrees is cold and never saw loss of speed or arrow drop

· Registered
1,225 Posts
I’ve consulted a physicist on this matter. After rolling his eyes and commenting on my rudimentary education I was informed that cold air is very dense and therefore would provide more resistance to arrow drop after firing your bow. Thus, in the winter time you’ll have less arrow drop. Any further questions on this matter can be directed to Dr. Sheldon Cooper, University of California physics department. You’re welcome.

· Registered
22,919 Posts
Have hunted in a lot of below zero weather & have never noticed any change in sight alignment.

Reactions: GrainofPain

· Registered
1,442 Posts
I hunt in both extremes and found that when it's cold and my body is all stiff, I don't get my hold and draw proper until I warm up, which causes my low and hi misses. I find even more of a challenge when I have to shoot at an extreme up or down angle and have to bend for the shot.

· Registered
84 Posts
I’ve wondered if cold plus elevation could make a difference at further distances. I’m at 32ft and usually 90 degrees in FL. Regularly go to 10k and sub 0 temps, I’ve never noticed a difference, but haven’t done really any type of testing other than camp shooting at 30 yards and shooting animals. I’m sure there is some measurable difference in theory but not that we are going to see.

· Registered
942 Posts
Dr. Cooper is at Caltech, not UC. And denser air would increase drag on the arrow throughout its flight, causing it to be in the air longer, resulting in a larger drop due to gravity.

This!!!, althought I doubt it makes much difference except at extremely long distances. Now I might believe something might be expanding and contracting thermally, which might impact your sight settings.

· GO HAWKS!
1,151 Posts
Wax in the strings can harden up vs when it’s hot out the wax is soft. Could make the bowstring react differently. I’ve never really noticed it but I’ve seen others talk about it and heard a podcast recently from the makers of bloodline strings talk about how weather affects wax impregnated strings

· Registered
725 Posts
Wax in the strings can harden up vs when it’s hot out the wax is soft. Could make the bowstring react differently. I’ve never really noticed it but I’ve seen others talk about it and heard a podcast recently from the makers of bloodline strings talk about how weather affects wax impregnated strings
Ive talked to guys that refuse to wax their strings a month before season and through out the season. Stating various reasons like this. Kinda makes sense.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts