Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am in need of some cold weather bibs and Parka. I bought a Silent Suede set at Cabela's a couple of weeks ago. I went hunting last weekend and came home covered in sticky weeds, and burs. I spent over 2 hours picking crap off of the bibs and parka. I took them back the next day.

I sit in a treestand for long time periods and silent clothing isn't that big a deal to me. What cold weather bibs and parka would you recommend that won't be a magnet for weeds, seeds, and burs?

Is Goretech a answer? I would sacrifice a little noise in favor of warm, water proof/resistent, and weed resistent clothing.

Any recommendations from those with first hand experience.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
I'd recommend that you carry your parka and bibs in a pack and put them on after your climb into your stand, or at the base of your tree. If your cold weather gear is worth a hoot is is going to be way to hot to walk in them.

I have a set of Day One bibs in saddlecloth that would not pick up burrs and crap if I did actually try to walk any distance in them.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd recommend that you carry your parka and bibs in a pack and put them on after your climb into your stand, or at the base of your tree. If your cold weather gear is worth a hoot is is going to be way to hot to walk in them.

I have a set of Day One bibs in saddlecloth that would not pick up burrs and crap if I did actually try to walk any distance in them.
Thanks Robin, I carry the parka but wear the bibs with the legs unzipped. Parka and Bibs are too bulky when carrying a climbing treestand and a backpack. I would need another pack for bibs and parka or a giant backpack to carry everything. I will look at the Day One Bibs.

·
Registered
864 Posts
How about Sitka Celsius bibs. I don't have them, but I have read some good things about them. Cabelas has them on sale for around $120. Regaularly around $200. I am seriously considering them. Perhaps someone who has tehm can chime in with some info.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Give this stuff a look-
www.idigear.com
Look at the hunting selection and then the rifle stuff because it is 2 layers of insulation and will take you down to -13.They even have some 3 layer stuff that is a coverall and used way up in northern Canada for Ice fishing.
It has everything you want waterproof,windproof,silent,and sent proof.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Give this stuff a look-
www.idigear.com
Look at the hunting selection and then the rifle stuff because it is 2 layers of insulation and will take you down to -13.They even have some 3 layer stuff that is a coverall and used way up in northern Canada for Ice fishing.
It has everything you want waterproof,windproof,silent,and sent proof.
I see the hunting selection..but I am not seeing "rifle stuff". Am I blind??

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
I'm seriously considering rivers west gear. Comes with a 1 year warranty against ripping.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
21,257 Posts
Agree with Robin

and don't be tempted by those Cordura versions- very durable and no burrs but very noisy/scratchy on stand

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I see the hunting selection..but I am not seeing "rifle stuff". Am I blind??[/QUOTE]

There used to be a heading for rifle and for bow, it is gone now. The rifle hunting gear was all 2 layer and the bow was a different camo and 1 layer. I guess someone thought that bow hunters didn't hunt in the cold.
The 2 layer parka and the bdu pants are wgat I use and they will keep you warmer as long as you don't forget to put on a good base layer. they are very light and easily packable so you can put on when you get to your stand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts