Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a boot that hikes well but also has some insulation for stand sits. Most of my hunting locations are a mile or more hike in mountain type terrain. Not uncommon for temperatures to be in the 20s and lower. I have multiple pair of rubber boots, I’m looking for more of a leather type boot. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I use Meindl Perfekt Hunter and Arctic Shield Insulator Suit over the top when really cold.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Agreed with above, if you have to hike to where you sit, you need to wear light, tight fitting boots. Take extra socks with you.

When you get in stand, change socks, let your feet air dry for a minute, then put the boots back on and put the boot blankets on.

This was absolutely the only way I could do all day sits on public land and keep my feet warm.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I will check them out. Thanks!

They were a Cabela's exclusive and looks like they may be discontinued. If I had to order comparable boots today, I would probably look at the Crispi Guide GTX.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed with above, if you have to hike to where you sit, you need to wear light, tight fitting boots. Take extra socks with you.

When you get in stand, change socks, let your feet air dry for a minute, then put the boots back on and put the boot blankets on.

This was absolutely the only way I could do all day sits on public land and keep my feet warm.
That’s great advice thanks. Part of the reason I’m going away from the rubber boots is because of the moisture retention. After a long hike to the stand it’s very hard to keep your feet warm in a rubber boot.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I use Mickey Boots. but depending on your temps, bunny boots may suit you better. I use either regular tennis shoes when talking in and change when i get to stand after my feet cool down. You don't really want to hike a long ways with those boots as they are not comfortable but they do keep you feet warm.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Buy these and never have cold feet again.

https://www.thewarmingstore.com/gerbing-sock-liner-7v-battery.html

When the temps get into the low 30’s and the twenties and below It was actually painful for me to sit for more than a few hours my feet got so cold. My feet have not been cold once since I started using these.
Good lord, $300 for some socks? If it keeps you in the stand longer and you can afford it, but damn. I'd have a hard time spending that much money to keep my feet warm.

That's terrible that you have such sensitive feet. I sit 4-6hrs usually in below zero temps before I get so uncomfortable I have to leave. Above 40 and I just wear my non-insulated Redwing leather work boots.

·
Registered
23,268 Posts
I have a pair of Irish Setter cordura/leather boots that have 800gr of Thinsulate insulation. They are quite warm on their own, but coupled with a pair of Boot Blankets on stand.....well they are WARM! I've always been a rubber boot kind of guy for wet and cold weather, but this combo prompted me to rethink my system. Just carry the Boot Blankets in your pack and slip them on once on stand.....plus they are quiet on a metal treestand platform.

·
Registered
81 Posts
This is my setup for 2 mile hikes and all day sits in single digits.

On the walk to the stand:
One pair of wool socks
200-300 grams thinsulate boot

In the stand:
Throw on arctic shield boot warmers
Throw 2 hand warmer in each of your foot, mainly targeting the toe area

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
Good lord, $300 for some socks? If it keeps you in the stand longer and you can afford it, but damn. I'd have a hard time spending that much money to keep my feet warm.

That's terrible that you have such sensitive feet. I sit 4-6hrs usually in below zero temps before I get so uncomfortable I have to leave. Above 40 and I just wear my non-insulated Redwing leather work boots.
I bought mine here on the classified for 1/3 the cost. But if they get worn out I’d have no problem laying out the 300$ . They work that well for me. When I was a kid I went through the ice on a very cold day and ended up with frost bitten feet. Been a problem with cold ever since.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I bought mine here on the classified for 1/3 the cost. But if they get worn out I’d have no problem laying out the 300$ . They work that well for me. When I was a kid I went through the ice on a very cold day and ended up with frost bitten feet. Been a problem with cold ever since.[/QUOTE
I agree. Same thing happened to me skating on a pond. Knee deep, too dumb to go home. If you added up all the money I’ve spent trying to find boots that would keep my feet warm. These are a bargain. I’m envious of all you guys who can sit 5 hours in sneakers. Lol. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
my cold weather boots are 800 gram danner pronghorns. i have 3 different pairs of pronghorns, the 800s, 400s and uninsulated. they're really comfy, and fit like a glove right out of the box. no break-in period. very comfy and supportive to hike in as well. i'll usually pair the 800s with hotmocs (like boot blankets) and some chemical heat packs when it gets cold cold, like 20's and lower. no issues keeping my feet warm at all.

i used to wear muck woody max boots on those cold days, but it didn't take too long to go back to a leather insulated boot. the rubber boots just make your feet sweat too much. the leather insulated boots with some hotmocs or boot blankets and some heat packs is the way to go.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
https://www.danner.com/men/hunt/powderhorn-10-brown-1000g.html

I hunt not in mountains but I can have 1200 feet of elevation change and these have woked really good and temps into the teens.

If I really want to keep my feet warm I were a light weight pair of boots and pack my boot blankets in with a disposable heater in each and I wear my crocks in them. All day sits with no issues in single digit temps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts