Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever noticed a different point of impact of their arrows when shooting a bow in temperatures less than 25 degrees? I will be hunting this weekend in weather likely to be in the 10 to 25 degree range.

Will this cold weather change my point of impact of my arrows? I am going to shoot later today, just curious what you have found.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I've shot my bow below zero and the biggest difference I see is in my muscles and all the extra clothing I wear. The bow seems to perform just fine overall. If I could shoot reliably in that cold of weather, I could give you a better answer but most of the issues come from me, my gloves, the coat, etc.!

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have read that really cold temps actually increase the poundage of your limbs, speeding up your arrow. I haven't seen this personally and I have shot in some pretty cold weather(down to zero degrees and lower). Your biggest problem in cold weather is likely to be bulky clothing affecting the way you draw/hold your bow and your anchor point.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've read that because of the cold muscles, bulky clothing, etc. that a persons accuracy decreases. Kudos to you for going out and taking some practice shots prior to heading out. Put everything on, especially any head gear you'll be wearing because sightlines can get messed up looking thru a facemask. Good luck and stay warm. I was planning on going out today but here in MN we're stuck in a blizzard.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
It could change some things since everything in this universe tends to expand and contract with changing temperatures. But the effects of the cold on YOU, not to mention the extra clothing, are going to make it awfully hard to notice. :lol:

Just get 'em close and have a good time. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
When i shoot all bulked up my groups are much bigger, if i am cold it even gets worse. I have to hold the bow out from me so strings and cables clear and i tend to shoot left a few inches.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I tested this out during one of our -40 days here last winter and found the impact to be the same out to 40, but my 40, 50, and 60 were low, I'm guessing due to the riser contracting, taking some poundage off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts