Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just new to this archery thing. I have a question on if cold weather affects the accuracy of the bow. for example shooting outside 65 degree's shot real good. two days latter 33 degrees was shooting 4 inches high and 2 inches right. both at 30 yrds. so is or can that be the temp. or is it the new shooter.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I would have to say it was the shooter. When it was cold outside, did you have a heavy jacket on and your string caught your sleeve, sending your arrow off target? The colder weather shouldn`t affect your bow.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Sounds like TNT might be correct. The temp. difference shoud not be noticeable in the bow's performance. IMHO:teeth:

·
Resident Philosopher
11,625 Posts
Frozen bow syndrome does exist
I have left my target bows in the truck in cold weather and they shoot low and left for about 12 shots.....then back to the center like usual.
I am enough of a believer in this that when the temps get below 30f I resight my hunting bow and leave it in the truck till deer season is over.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
agreed

i have experienced it too. a VERY noticable drop when shooting in really cold weather. i have mised "easy" shots as a result of this.i don't know about my SBXT, but my MQ32 was definitely affected by the cold.

·
Registered
51,169 Posts
It's not the bow, it's you. Your muscles are tight, more clothes and will cause you to draw, hold and shoot different.:wink:

·
Registered
131 Posts
I asked this very same question when I first began shooting because I was having the same problem. It's you, not the bow. As the months go by, you will begin to get more accurate and stay accurate with constant practice regardless of the temperature.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks to everyone that gave their thoughts. I'm definitely going to keep practicing. I'm going to my first 3d shoot tomorrow. thanks again to everyone.

·
Resident Philosopher
11,625 Posts
It's not the bow, it's you. Your muscles are tight, more clothes and will cause you to draw, hold and shoot different.:wink:
I asked this very same question when I first began shooting because I was having the same problem. It's you, not the bow. As the months go by, you will begin to get more accurate and stay accurate with constant practice regardless of the temperature.
OK guys ....then explain why when I take my COLD bow into a 70 degree indoor range it shoots wrong till it warms up.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
I have never had any extreme situations but have always wondered why bows arent affected more than they are. Im a guitar player, and any musician that has ever played in the cold im sure has realized how badly it effects your tune:rolleyes:

I would say that its you probably, but i wont say that its not possible that it is the bow.

MoparLvrr- I cant help ya out there...

I can say tho that during hunting season when its cold I like to leave my hunting bow outside so it doesnt go through those temp. fluctuations b/c here in KY, the temp can go from the 20's to the 60's in a day or two :rolleyes:(very annoying) Just for peace of mind i like the bow to change and be used to whatever the temp. is.

Derek

·
Resident Philosopher
11,625 Posts
I have never had any extreme situations but have always wondered why bows arent affected more than they are. Im a guitar player, and any musician that has ever played in the cold im sure has realized how badly it effects your tune:rolleyes:

I would say that its you probably, but i wont say that its not possible that it is the bow.

MoparLvrr- I cant help ya out there...

I can say tho that during hunting season when its cold I like to leave my hunting bow outside so it doesnt go through those temp. fluctuations b/c here in KY, the temp can go from the 20's to the 60's in a day or two :rolleyes:(very annoying) Just for peace of mind i like the bow to change and be used to whatever the temp. is.

Derek
Same here
and this past season just north of ya was annoyingly erratic

·
Registered
51,169 Posts
OK guys ....then explain why when I take my COLD bow into a 70 degree indoor range it shoots wrong till it warms up.
Mine never does. I shot all winter long at the club, come in from -0, bow was in the truck all day and started shooting no problem with the bow. But it may take a few shots for my muscles to lossen up. These bows are tested in all extemes of temp. I'll stay say it is you not the bow that needs to be warmed up.:wink:

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
I keep my bow inside in winter and shoot both outside and inside, can't tell a difference, at any range....except for cold hands since I don't wear gloves.....even if it's 10 out...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Watch your collar too

I would have to say it was the shooter. When it was cold outside, did you have a heavy jacket on and your string caught your sleeve, sending your arrow off target? The colder weather shouldn`t affect your bow.
My hunting buddy was having trouble shooting in his cold weather gear. He kept watching for a sleeve to catch the string and it never did. I spotted the problem when I watched him shoot ... his collar tip would slip in front of the string at full draw and throw his shot off.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Babey it's cold out side!!!

Yep it can effect your shot some bows are more effected then others but only in more extream cold. I highly dought your bow would have that much error at 44 degrees . Its you , My shot changes from day to day due to muscle stiffness and what ever. That being said being new almost every thing you do that results in an erratic impact, is do to flaws in your form. Try the archerylessonsonsline site you will find all the answers for any questions you might have. Google them and you wont be sorry.:wink:Good luck:thumbs_up

·
Registered
51,169 Posts
LOL this is the typical blame the equipment not the person pulling the string, a proper set bow will always shoot better than we ever can. We tend to blame everything but ourself after all we are so perfect..:beer::wink::thumbs_up

1 - 16 of 16 Posts