Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any recommendations for some cold weather socks...

Thanks Rudy

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
Bass Pro has their "TreeStand socks" which are 80% merino wool and their "Extreme socks" which are 80% Merino wool and 10% thinsulate.....I always wear a thermax or polypro liner under them.....stay away from any cotton for cold weather use.......once cotton gets wet, its shot. Wool retains 80% of its warmth even when wet.......:darkbeer:

·
Registered
11,297 Posts
need a good base layer to keep your feet dry (might even need some deodorant)
after that nothing then wool power

·
Resident Philosopher
11,625 Posts
Gander sell some call In-Genious
they work well and have a cotton inner layer wool outer

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought some socks on line by an outfit called Covert Threads (use Google). I picked up pair of Ice and a pair of Sand. Very well made but a little pricey, I thought I would try them. My feet always get cold no matter what I wear.

Mike C.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
bass pro has their "treestand socks" which are 80% merino wool and their "extreme socks" which are 80% merino wool and 10% thinsulate.....i always wear a thermax or polypro liner under them.....stay away from any cotton for cold weather use.......once cotton gets wet, its shot. Wool retains 80% of its warmth even when wet.......:darkbeer:
+1
:)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies, do liners really work and where can I get them?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Covert Thread's have good socks. It allows me to keep my feet warmer 1 hr longer than normal. I have cold feet no matter what. Only thing that really helps is warming packs.

·
Yooper / Marauder
736 Posts
Yes they wick moisture away from your foot, provide another layer of insulation, and if silver lined suppress bacterial growth which is important come the second week of deer camp!

Liners - Fox River X-Static (search on amazingsocks.com website)

Outer sock - Wigwam Canada wool boot sock

And if it's really cold, put a merino wool sock between the two!

Tested and approved in the bitter cold of Michigan's UP!

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
Liners are available thru Bass Pro, Cabelas, Gander Mtn, Dicks....I like the thermax for colder weather.....dont forget, you still need a good boot, I go 1 size larger than my normal every day shoe size, you dont want them tight on your feet, but not to slip either....the only way is to try the boots with the socks you will be wearing.....:darkbeer:......

·
Registered
618 Posts
I just use Cool Max liners for wicking and let the outer sock do its job. There is not need for "warm or cold" weather liners. If you are overly worried about cold feet in a stationary situation, just get some Arctic Shield boot insulators and smile. Error on the side of a larger size than smaller - 'nuff said.

·
Registered
831 Posts
To Stop your feet from sweating use underarm spray.
To keep your feet toasty, Merino Wool Socks also loose up your boots to allow better circulation while sitting.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts