Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm hunting for some cold weather outer layer pants. Ive looked at some guide series insulated pants I really liked, but I can't seem to find them in anything but 2x. The only other thing I've found that came close was the under armor rut pants that are $150. If I could find some decent priced goose down pants I might consider them. But anyways I'm looking for something to wear over Jeans in weather down into the 20's. would like water proof and realtree cammo, Any suggestions under $200? Cheaper the better!

· Liv4Rut
7,392 Posts
I bought a pair of artic shield onyx pants last year that turned out to be great. I think they were around $100 bucks. They pack nice, go on easy, are supposed to be waterproof. I never sat in a downpour but the little rain I did have they did not get wet. Most importantly they were extremely warm for how light they are. Hunted with them all season even when it got down in the teens. I could of went colder. I did wear a pair of underarmour bottoms under my jeans though. Not sure how it would of been without those.

· Embrace The Suck!
1,954 Posts
First of all, if it's cold enough to need cold weather pants then they may not need to be waterproof.

Personally for stuff like that that doesn't get worn that much I prefer cheap....like as cheap as I can get. I've got some Walls insulated overalls in some camo pattern or other that works fine.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well Im out doors alot in the winter. Between walking through tall wet grass on my way to the treestand, getting caught in sleet or rain 4 wheeling, or pulling in a fish out on the lake, I always find a way to get wet. So ill use them quite a bit. My insulated jeans just don't cut it anymore. Just want something nice for this year. I just wish I could find some more people that have used those type of pants.

· Liv4Rut
7,392 Posts
Alright, I might give these a try, if they are warm like you say it sounds like a great deal. Do they fit over pants pretty easy using your actual size or do I need to up the size ?
I bought the XL pants which is my normal size for bibs, coats etc. Fit great. I had no issue when it got colder out in the teens. I know I could go much colder though with them. You could not wear them while walking though. You will die with sweat. I pack them in and put them on at the base of my tree. When you first put them on they almost seem like they could be slightly noisy but as soon as you get them on and your body temp warms them up that goes away. I think the retain liner when on my pack in the cold makes them seem noisy. When I am in the tree no issues whatsover. It was my best buy last year. I could not believe how warm they were for how light they are. They seem just as warm as my $300 whitetail extreme mt050 bibs and half the bulk.

I have yet to try them though when it is 20 below zero out and frigid. For bowhunting though down to zero they are fine.

· Feedn The Geese
12,837 Posts
First things first, camo is highly overrrated. Dont let that sway you if thats the only thing you dont like. Part of your problem here is going to be wearing jeans. You need a system, even if that system isnt made up of traditional hunting/hiking gear.

Heres an example of how you could get warm and spend very little.

Buy an outer waterproof shell in your favorite camo thats quiet. This will cover you in any weather, you can pack this in to keep from sweating.

Bottom:
Put on a pair of compression style pants, could be walmarts brand for all I care.
Next layer, find a pair of fleece winter pajama pants, you problably already own these
Add a pair of sweatpants to round out this

Wear that combo till you get to the tree, have the stand hung and are ready to hunt. Now add the shell bottoms.

Top:
Cheap compression layer
Fleece jacket or vest
Hooded sweatshirt
Shell at the tree

My core layers for cold weather this year are both made by hiking companies, marmot and mountain hardware. I have less into both of them than a single top or bottom from a hunting company.

· Registered
4,552 Posts
Cabela's Wooltimates. Order 1-2 sizes bigger than your normally wear at your waist. If you purchase the same size waist as your regular paints, the Wooltimates will feel too snug... especially in the legs.

I have the Wooltimate Jacket, Pants, Hat and Muff. Great for cold winter days!!!!!

· Registered
130 Posts
Maybe check out rivers west. It's 100% waterproof windproof fleece. I've got jacket and pants. The pants have neoprene gaiters and waterproof zippers. I have waded several knee to just under waist deep creeks with no leakage what so ever. I use them for general rain wear, duck and goose hunting, and deere hunting even in the late season here in wisconsin.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I bought the XL pants which is my normal size for bibs, coats etc. Fit great. I had no issue when it got colder out in the teens. I know I could go much colder though with them. You could not wear them while walking though. You will die with sweat. I pack them in and put them on at the base of my tree. When you first put them on they almost seem like they could be slightly noisy but as soon as you get them on and your body temp warms them up that goes away. I think the retain liner when on my pack in the cold makes them seem noisy. When I am in the tree no issues whatsover. It was my best buy last year. I could not believe how warm they were for how light they are. They seem just as warm as my $300 whitetail extreme mt050 bibs and half the bulk.

I have yet to try them though when it is 20 below zero out and frigid. For bowhunting though down to zero they are fine.
Do you know which pants they are? they seem to have several models.

· Feedn The Geese
12,837 Posts
I just sold a wooltimate suit, its not packable, you start covering ups and downs of mountains and youll be dripping sweat before you get where you need to be.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.