Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been looking at cold weather underwear that have the material for moisture control. Have been looking at Redhead, Cabelas, etc, was wondering for the money what is the best kind (overall), that you personally know works really well. Thanks in advance, Dave

·
Registered
17,328 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Cornfed,
I was just getting ready to try and make a decision on WHICH PolarTEC underwear to buy from Cabelas. I have seen the "Thermastat" you speak of, and I have also seen the others, which are very similar. Specifically referring to the E.C.W.C.S. underwear, that also comes in several weights.
I would like to know IF you have ALSO tried these ECWCS PolarTEC layers as well?????
IF so, then you have REALLY helped me out, in letting me know WHICH is the best to get...
Thanks for ANY help...

BTW,
Have you by chance tried the MTP Series from Cabelas too? ALL of the above mentioned PolarTEC underwear lines, are right next to each other, in the Cabelas Hunting catalog.
Thanks for any help.

BTW,
I'm still trying to figure out if I should use the silk underwear for my FIRST layer, and then the PolarTEC, OR if I should just use my UnderArmour Cold gear for a first layer, and then the PolarTEC stuff, followed by a third layer of some fleece or wool.
I guess I'm wondering IF I should buy some silk for first layer, or if I should just stay with my Under Armour Cold Gear...?
Choices, choices...!

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, thats a good start, any more advice on cold weather underwear.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I have worn Patagonia Cappeliene for years (www.patagonia.com), ever since I was in college. I owned only one set for many years....so you can imagine the beating they took. I wore the midwieght and layered if needed, but not usually needed. I now have two sets, and the picked up some Under Armor cold gear last year. The UA is warm, but it is a little itchy....might be my delicate skin....who knows.

Shivering in Sconsin,

Daver

·
Matt R
2,113 Posts
I have a set of down filled underware that I bought at cabellas, they are definately the warmest you can buy. I use them for all of my winter sports that require sitting still, you don't want to walk too much, they are too warm for much activity, and did I mention comfortable??

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Like Cornfed, I too like the polar wt. thermastat to use as my base layer.What I added last year, was a fleece top and bottom (light wt) that I bought at Wally world. On really cold days, I wear that over my base layer and it really makes a difference. :wink:

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
depending on your budget ecwcs is the most cost effective, also extreme cold requires multiple layers maybe 2 pairs head to toe of ecwcs is still cheaper than some of that other stuff.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I would recommend getting a set of Under Armour Cold Gear as your base layer. I bought a set last year and it really helped to ward off the cold. I would wear the UA with a layer of polypropylene underwear over that.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Paul Cataldo said:
Cornfed,
I was just getting ready to try and make a decision on WHICH PolarTEC underwear to buy from Cabelas. I have seen the "Thermastat" you speak of, and I have also seen the others, which are very similar. Specifically referring to the E.C.W.C.S. underwear, that also comes in several weights.
I would like to know IF you have ALSO tried these ECWCS PolarTEC layers as well?????
I have the Military Issue E.C.W.C.S which is basically the same thing and it works great. Though I usually only use the bottoms except on the cold days. For the top its usually the UnderArmor Cold Gear. That seams to do just fine for me. Alot of different things work great alot of it is preference, and as long as they are not cotton. That will not wick moisture away.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
Thermax and Thermastat are great under garments. The biggest aid I have found in keeping warm is wearing quality outer garments with Comfortmax IB wind barrier. It allows your under garments to do their job:)

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have ThermaStat and PolarTec

I really like the Thermastat. It wears and washes well. When the elastic finally wore out, I bought it again. I also have the expedition weight Polar Tech. It has to be fairly cold (+ single digits or lower) before I'll pull that out. It is extremely warm and fits well. My next favorite garment would be my wind-stopper wool sweater.

Can't wait for the cold to come!!!!

GregS

·
Registered
331 Posts
Im am not sure who makes them, But I have a bottom and top called duofold, They are kinda a tan and last Year in 10 degree weather that is all I needed under my Lightweight hunting pants, They are kind of a tan in color and I got mine at Gander Mountain, Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I can not say from personal ex but as I understand UA Cold gear does not give any true insulating value. It works as a good layer but its true purpose is to wick moisture away from the skin for those active people that may sweat in cold weather to prevent chilling.

I have to ability to purchase some a a reduce cost, but because of what I have heard and the fact that my hunting style does not leave me breaking much of a sweat I have refrained from purchasing it.

If anybody has any further personal information please let me know.

·
Registered
65 Posts
bowjunkie2 said:
Like Cornfed, I too like the polar wt. thermastat to use as my base layer.What I added last year, was a fleece top and bottom (light wt) that I bought at Wally world. On really cold days, I wear that over my base layer and it really makes a difference. :wink:
Same here. I love the thumb holes! My next layer is a pair of fleece camo pants with tall ellastic cuffs that don't creep up if adding another layer. I also bought some polar fleece pants from Old Navy. They were super cheap and are pretty thick. They're also very loose which makes it a perfect additional layer just under my coveralls or bibs for really cold days.

Mike

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
will i opted for the thermastat and ordered one set of them from Cabelas today, will try them this year and will note all the other choices and give them a try if the thermastats don't work out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts