Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys wear in cold weather? Im looking for new cold weather gear and want to know what all you guys use?
Thanks
Boswell

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
I had a post on here asking the same thing, most everyone, a dozen or so recommended Thermostat underwear from Cabelas, I ordered and got it to try out this year. It keeps you warm and the moisture goes outside the underwear not inside to your body. Thats what they said, so I will soon find out.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I like to wear tight long underwear and Fleece. Stay very comfortable and quiet when moving

·
Registered
899 Posts
Columbia wool pants and jacket.

I ordered some Cabelas Outfitter Fleece Camp pants and pull over a few weeks ago. Hopefully it gets here soon...like before the season starts!!:confused:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Heater Body Suit

I have alot of clothes for cold weather hunting, but I seem to grab the heater body suit just about everytime. I like the fact that when I do pull back the suit slides out of the way. That and a good pair of boots and I haven't been out hunting yet where I had to leave because I was getting cold.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Last yeat I purchased the Super Slam Elite fleece from Cabela's and fell in love with it. On opening moring it was 23 degrees and never even felt the chill! I highly recomend looking it up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Look @ Carol Davis Sportswear / Web-Foot Body Sock in Nebraska. Several of us own this product for deer & duck hunting.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I like a tight fitting set of insulated underwear with a much looser fitting set on top of that...The air pocket created by doing this acts as an excellence insulator...

By far the warmest thing I have on is my polar fleece hood...Even if you don't want to cover your ears, just having this thing around your neck will up your contained body temperature considerably...!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Define 'cold'

Is freezing 'cold'? Or below zero? I suppose it depends on what you are used to. Right now, this morning's 40 degrees felt chilly. In March that would feel balmy.

Anyway, to your question. Many have posted on thermostat, fleece, and wool. Ahmen! That is exactly what I use, in that order, then Predator insulated bibs and coat. Some other considerations.

No cotton -- nowhere, especially not underwear or socks. Cotton will hold moisture and keep you cool.

Get a good hat -- most heat is lost out the top of your head.

Cover your neck -- I have a neck gator I'll use or a wool balaclava (sp?). When really cold I'll wear a gator or balaclava plus another hat.

Chemical hand warmers -- I have a terrible time with my hands and feet. But I need free fingers to shoot (finger shooter.) When really cold I where a 'chopper' or 'mit' style on my left (bow) hand and fingerless wool gloves on my right, but then put my hand in either a pocket or a pouch that has one or two hand warmers.

Walk in cold -- If you are cold when you leave your truck, you might be OK. If you are already warm before starting to walk, you will sweat up and never really get comfortable.

Eat, drink warm fluids -- Your body needs fuel. A warm drink can recharge you.

Lastly, when you get cold you get stiff and clumsy. If you feel yourself getting to this point, get out of your tree. Tree steps get really tiny when in big boots. When it's sub-zero I usually put on the whites and hunt on the ground.

The cold is invigorating -- enjoy it!

GregS

·
Registered
434 Posts
Base layer: Ullfrotte underwear (merino wool)
secondary layer: carbon LJ's
Outer layer: King of the Mountain Wools

Nothing beats wool for warmth, natural scent blocking abilities and it being quite when the temps really drop. I've tried all the synthetic materials and most are like wrestling with a bag of potatoe chips when the temps drop. I love my wools even in slightly cool temps just use silk under them.

·
Don't Blink!
3,140 Posts
Ridgetop said:
I have alot of clothes for cold weather hunting, but I seem to grab the heater body suit just about everytime. I like the fact that when I do pull back the suit slides out of the way. That and a good pair of boots and I haven't been out hunting yet where I had to leave because I was getting cold.
Ditto:wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts