Archery Talk Forum banner

Collapsing/ coming out of posture?

3K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Txfeatherflinger 
#1 ·
So i've been shooting a bow for about 20 years or so, but never really improved. I was always "good enough" to kill deer at sub 30 yds. Last year I had target panic really bad (stuck low), and started really working on my form. I'm shooting a lot better, but occasionally I'll throw an arrow like 3" low at 20y. Almost feels like im dropping my bow arm in anticipation of looking at where arrow is going.

Anyone have any experience with this? Typically the last arrow in a group.

#2 ·
If it’s usually the last arrow, it’s most likely simple fatigue. Maybe try turning your limb bolts out half a turn and see if the issue goes away? Or, rest longer before shooting the last arrow of the group. As arms fatigue, it is just harder to physically hold the bow up and the tendency is to shoot low.

#4 ·
Tape camera phone to a ladder. Set camera phone lens at arrow height on the ladder. Slide ladder far away enough, that the camera phone can record a video of you, HEAD to TOE, camera phone can see the ground, can see your shoes, can see all of you, and can see all of the bow.

Fire 5 shots on video. Start to finish. The video will show EVERYTHING that you are doing correctly, and everything you are doing DIFFERENT on shot #5. POST to YouTube. Provide a public link.

#5 ·
As stated by other members, fatigue can be the issue you're having. If you're practicing with your hunting bow at higher draw weights you will tire and your consistency will decrease the longer you shoot. Set a limit on the number of arrows you are shooting. For target specific shooting a lower poundage bow will help maintain consistency for longer periods of shooting. One thing to consider is your arrows. Do you have your arrows numbered? A lot of times a dozen arrows will have at least one to two arrows with flight dynamics that will be different then the rest. If you're consistently shooting one arrow low and off horizontally it could very well be that its the same arrow with a deformation. Such as improper fletching, weight issues or alignment imperfections. Its not uncommon for an arrows imperfection to be looked over and cause discouragement. Make sure you have all the same grain weighted tips inserted, check arrow straightness, inspect fletching's and look for differences such as the helical direction or misplaced alignments. Make sure the nocks and arrow lengths are the same. Consistency is key! Hope this helps.

#8 ·
Sorry for the delayed response, was dealing with some health issues. Here’s 4 arrows. Curious what opportunities for improvement are available form-wise.

This is your problem RIGHT HERE.

Water Plant Shorts Green Hat

If you need to do this to get past peak draw weight,
time to drop the poundage via the limb bolts
to the absolute minimum. IF a 70 lb bow, drop down to 60 ls.
If a 60 lb bow, drop down to 50 lbs.

This is NOT how you draw a compound bow. Serious.

#12 ·
Wow. Thanks. That’s a lot of info. Wasn’t expecting all of that.

I can drop weight by about 12# with the switch weight cams and limbs out. I’ll see about going down to 26” on draw.

flr what it’s worth its not usually that hard coming back. I lost about 20% of my body weight in 3 months due to health issues and it robbed me of most of my strength. I knew that would likely be the first thing noticed, but it’s where I am currently and I wanted to give an honest representation of my current state.

#14 ·
So, shooting in a ground blind (in a chair),
so shooting on level ground....It's not the angle of the ground...it's the ANGLE of the arrow.

So, get the left armpit FORWARDS of the left ankle, when the ARROW is pointing downhill.

She is standing on "LEVEL" ground, but she is on a stone balcony and the ARROW is pointing HARD downhill,
so she has to lean forwards, quite noticeably.

So, if YOU are on "LEVEL" ground, and the arrow is DEAD LEVEL...then, you want your HEAD centered between your ankles, like this.

Trailerdog (AT username) is standing on LEVEL Ground in both of these photos.
LEFT photo, the arrow is dead level, and his HEAD is centered between his ankles.

RIGHT photo, doctored, he is still on level ground, but he is now aiming at a target below shoulder height.
So, swing your hips, both butt cheeks AWAY from the shooting line, so the upper half of your body can HINGE forwards (left armpit FORWARDS of your left ankle), and then the upper body will swing FORWARDS, like leaning over a balcony,
and the arrow will point downhill.

What NOT to do???? Do not do THIS.

LEFT pic example is GOOD, for a level arrow.
RIGHT pic example is BAD, for a downhill arrow, cuz when you hinge from the shoulder, and just DROP your bow arm,
you gonna miss high...cuz when you ONLY swing the bow arm from the shoulder, the peep just moved farther away from your eyeball, and the sight marks are no good any more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.