Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says - I'm looking for information about which collegiate archery programs also operate JOAD programs.
I know of UC Berkeley and Stanford - are there others?

Thanks!

JR
(Sonoma State University Archery Club)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Try contacting your state archery association, they should have more information on this.

Another source is US Collegiate Archery: http://www.uscollegiatearchery.org/

From USCA, you can look up registered college archery programs and then contact the individuals involved for more information.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Victor,

Thanks for the suggestions. From my internet searches it looks like this isn't very common - the two that I identified already that are here in the Bay Area, and also perhaps Michigan State (anyone know about that?). We'll keep looking.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wouldn't expect such a program to be very prevalent. Universities can be extremely strict when it comes to liability issues. As a result, they usually limit college archery programs to just people directly affiliated with the college.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know what you mean about the caution on the part of the university. We sure saw that when we were getting the club up and running a few years ago. The club is thinking of either a regular weekly program or perhaps going with a "clinic" model (heck, our Lacrosse team has a set of clinics called "youth attack and defense" and "high school attack and defense"; it's hard to imagine archery being scarier than that, liability-wise!).

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
Yes we have one at the Demmer Center at Michigan State University. I coach the MSU team and the JOAD kids. I have kids that are on the team that work there and also help out with the JOAD program. We have had 2 kids from our program that have made JDT-R and JDT-C. We also have 2 girls on USAT. They both work there at the Demmer Center and go to Michigan State.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The big issue with collegiate clubs running JOAD clubs as well is in the mixing in of minors. That opens up a large amount of liability that most colleges aren't going to want to be involved.

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
Every person goes thru back round screening thru MSU police. Everyone must take safe sport training. And everyone is at least level 1 instructor. The club does not run JOAD. The shooting sports and education center does. The MSU team shoots there.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the information, everyone - much appreciated!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts