Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
aka former "treeslayer"
7,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent nine days hunting and saw seven bulls throught the week and a lot of cows. One bulls was a big six point that would score well over 320" being consevative. He headed straight into Unit 61 when he was jumped out of a bed. I was archery hunting with an either sex elk tag on public land in Unit 62 out of Montrose.
I had a nice shot on a foiur point bull on day three, shooting steep downhill I didn't cut enough yardage and shot over his back. Hard hunting the next five days with hardly seeing anything but deer.
On the last morning I dropped off in a deep canyon and was walking along a stream when I saw a game trail that headed uphill, I took it and it went about thrity feet up and leveled out overlooking the trail I had been on, it crossed an open hillside further up so I was thinking about sitting here for a while when I heard an elk coming up the trail I had been walking, I waited and then the wind switched and he busted me. I tried to give a few cow calls to bring him back but he was on his way. I cow called a few more times and then sat down for awhile to think about what to do next. After about five minutes I hear something. I couldn't quite make out what it was. It sounded like air being exhaled. Slowly it got louder. I then heard a growl with it and realized it sounded like a dog giving a "woooof" growl. I turn and look behind me and about fifteen feet away is a coyote crouched down and ready to leap at me. He is growling, baring his teath, and obviously sees me as his lunch! I jumped to my feet and spun around, he took off up slope about 10 yards and spun around towards me to come back down the hill again. I started yelling, waved my bow, then clipped onto my string loop and prepared to defend myself. The coyote ran away unscathed, unfortunately, and I was ready to find a new area to hunt!
I finally decided to take a cow as the hunt was coming to an end, on Sunday evening I had a cow walk to within 35 yards and I shot her. I was using a hoyt xtec at 65 lbs with nap thunderhead broadheads, total arrow weight just under 400 grains. I hit her good and she was stumbling when she ran about fifteen yards and stopped, coughed up a two foot circle of frothy blood, and then moved into the trees. I wasn't able to put another arrow into her but was confident in the shot and what I saw. I didn't push her but walked the mile back to the truck to get the necessary tools for quartering her and drive the truck to a closer point. When I went looking I found the pool of blood and then no blood trail. I mean down on hands and knees, searching for every drop, only found three more drops over the next 100 yards. Searched with a friend helping that night and again at daylight the next morning, for about five hours of total searching. Still couldn't find her, had to pack up and leave. Makes me sick, I figure my tag is filled even if I didn't find her. I would rather have had a clean miss than this. I know I hit her through the lungs and I had a complete pass through, just no blood trail. She dropped a lot of blood the first twenty yards then nothing. Hope I never go through this again, first time in 13 seasons of bowhunting. She was a nice young cow that I am sure would have tasted good, not much of a return when you spend $500 on a either sex tag, have a great time hunting and end up being sick over the outcome. I wish all of you better luck than me this year.
A3dhunter

·
Registered Elker
7,715 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I have had years that I swore if I didnt have so much bad luck I would have no luck at all. Perhaps it will be better next year

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. I spent the whole week out there and didn't see or hear a thing in Unit 75. Every hunter we talked too except one had the same luck we did and not 1 person we talked too got anything.:cry:

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Dang fulltime.... that's awful.:cry: I hope we have better luck next week when we are out there in 73 & 71.

You need to post up a thread on your adventures or lack thereof..... I know alot of people were rooting for you guys!

As for you a3dhunter, sorry to hear about it turning out like that. Keep your chin up, b/c the elk didn't go to waste, she fed some bears, yotes and MTN Lions for sure. At least you were into them... and got some action. That yote story is a good one and you'll probably be telling the grandkids about it!:wink:

-ZA

FULLTIMEHUNTER said:
Sorry to hear about that. I spent the whole week out there and didn't see or hear a thing in Unit 75. Every hunter we talked too except one had the same luck we did and not 1 person we talked too got anything.:cry:

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
By the time he tells his grandkids about the coyote it will actually be a wolf story. Or maybe even a pack of wolves he had to fight off with bow and knife!

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
FULLTIMEHUNTER said:
Kory,
One of the things I've since learned after my expedition to Colorado which went much like yours, is that many of the outfitters will pay ranchers to graze their cattle out on the National Forest in order to push the elk off of it, resulting in better hunting for their clients. You didn't by any chance see a lot of beef cows did you???? I know I saw nearly 10,000 beef cattle, and a couple thousand sheep, but not one damned elk!!!! I left Colorado with a really bad experience. Sorry to hear you had one similar.

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
SEOBowhntr said:
Kory,
One of the things I've since learned after my expedition to Colorado which went much like yours, is that many of the outfitters will pay ranchers to graze their cattle out on the National Forest in order to push the elk off of it, resulting in better hunting for their clients. You didn't by any chance see a lot of beef cows did you???? I know I saw nearly 10,000 beef cattle, and a couple thousand sheep, but not one damned elk!!!! I left Colorado with a really bad experience. Sorry to hear you had one similar.

Beef cows? Yep saw a ton of them! The last evening we were going to a spot that we hadn't yet checked out and low and behold there was a sheep herder with about 1,000 sheep with the road blocked off and the dogs came running after us. It sounded like it will be another couple of weeks and they will start rounding up the cows and sheep and taking them to lower elevations. That is about the same time that the elk start coming down from what I'm told. I think Durocab1 is going out there around the 16th and I'm considering joining him then if I can talk the wife into letting me leave again.:cocktail:

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
SEOBowhntr said:
Kory,
One of the things I've since learned after my expedition to Colorado which went much like yours, is that many of the outfitters will pay ranchers to graze their cattle out on the National Forest in order to push the elk off of it, resulting in better hunting for their clients. ...
Doesn't quite work like that.:rolleyes: The outfitters don't have anything to do with grazing on BLM or USFS land...unless they also happen to be ranchers. The USFS tells them when and where to graze.

And for the record...elk aren't too spooked of beef cows. Cowboys and ATVs are another story.

FYI - sheepherders and cowboys are great sources of game location. For the price of a six-pack of beer you can find where most of the critters live.:)

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Sorry to hear that bud. Did you hit her high in the lungs?

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Bobmuley said:
Doesn't quite work like that.:rolleyes: The outfitters don't have anything to do with grazing on BLM or USFS land...unless they also happen to be ranchers. The USFS tells them when and where to graze.

And for the record...elk aren't too spooked of beef cows. Cowboys and ATVs are another story.

FYI - sheepherders and cowboys are great sources of game location. For the price of a six-pack of beer you can find where most of the critters live.:)
Just some of what I've heard from a few guys who actually live in Colorado and say that they almost can't hunt in their homestate because the elk are run off the USFS land. They may be BS'ing me, but it sounds pretty believeable, esp. after seeing thousands upon thousands of cattle, and no elk.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
CityBoy2 said:
By the time he tells his grandkids about the coyote it will actually be a wolf story. Or maybe even a pack of wolves he had to fight off with bow and knife!
I liked this one ...

·
Registered
636 Posts
SEOBowhntr said:
Just some of what I've heard from a few guys who actually live in Colorado and say that they almost can't hunt in their homestate because the elk are run off the USFS land. They may be BS'ing me, but it sounds pretty believeable, esp. after seeing thousands upon thousands of cattle, and no elk.
Cattle are very visible...they don't bed down in the wee hours of the morning to hide from you. Of course you see lots of cattle...it's not a challenge to locate them.

As stated above, USFS and BLM enters into agreement with ranchers for grazing rights. They say when a rancher can and can't run his cattle on public land. Ranchers are not interested in screwing up your elk hunt and most would not accept money from anyone who is interested in such. They hate hunters who disregard landowner rights...but over all, most hunt and understand us better than the average bear. But their cattloe takes precence since that is their livlihood...and it becomes a convenient excuse for us to use.

Elk can be a challenge to locate and hunt successfully. We don't need any made up excuses for a non-successful hunt. There's plenty of real excuses.

Nate

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
stuckinthemud said:
Cattle are very visible...they don't bed down in the wee hours of the morning to hide from you. ....Nate
But, its still fun to sneak up on 'em.:D

·
Registered
636 Posts
I sneak up IN them. We 'cow in' geese on the fields sometimes. It's a riot.

Nate

·
aka former "treeslayer"
7,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
high hit? No

nyturkeyduster said:
Sorry to hear that bud. Did you hit her high in the lungs?
If anything I hit her low in the chest, due to the evidence on the ground and me watching the impact I know I hit lung and she was even quartering away slightly, very slightly, but I tucked that arrow in there neat as you please.(Kind of surpirsed myself with such a good shot!)
a3dhunter

·
aka former "treeslayer"
7,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did I find the arrow? Yes

Ivorytooth said:
Did you find your arrow?
I found the arrow and it was coated tip to knock with frothy blood.
a3dhunter

·
OWN YOUR SHOT!
3,465 Posts
Cattle?

Sure is funny that you go on the BLM land and all you can find is dust and the feed is all gone but yet we have to many elk and deer and the mountains cant handle all of the wildlife, but yet you go to the farmers ranch and walla green grass and not a bit of cow .... but hey what do we know were just a bunch of stupid hunters that just think of wildlife and dont make a living off the land. And by the way Ranchers have plenty to do with what goes on with wildlife just go to a rack meeting in utah sometime and you will know what I meen they are so worried about what they are going to get and want to feed the mouintans for cheep but yet a deer or elk steps foot on their property and they want compensation for the damage, or more tags because they have a CWMU. Just my opinion

·
OWN YOUR SHOT!
3,465 Posts
Cattle!

By the way I'm not trying to ripp anyone just saying what I thing goes on in Utah. By the way how are things in Col Bobmuley? The beav:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts