Archery Talk Forum banner

Colorado archery elk season has ended, any hunters with last minute success?

1641 Views 23 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  5MilesBack
With time running out I know a few AT'ers had hopes of tagging a bull this weekend, hopefully there were some who had some last day success and we'll hear the story soon.

Hopefully, everyone makes it off the mountain with good memories and thoughts of that bull for next year!

For all those that hunted this year, give us your thoughts?

Good year, bad year?
Strong rut activity?
Better hunting?
Is it going downhill?

After sitting this one out, I'll be hunting elk next year somewhere!:tongue:
Just got to save some money and stop hitting the AT classifieds so much....:rolleyes:
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
2,548 Posts
The season runs through the 28th so some people still have a week of hunting left.I even played with the idea of driving back out for the last week since I only filled my antlerless tag the first go round but decided the gas expense would be too much.

· Registered
7,119 Posts
I have a few days left, but I have seen and heard a lot less. I think it is the moon and weather. It has been very warm lately. This area does not have many big bulls, but I have not seen anything older that 3.5 5x5 that was on a private ranch that allows little or no hunting. Usually by now I have seen some good 6x6's on this ranch by now. We had a very severe winter this year so I don't know if this is a problem for the elk. So far it has been a well below average year so far.

· aka former "treeslayer"
7,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The season runs through the 28th so some people still have a week of hunting left.I even played with the idea of driving back out for the last week since I only filled my antlerless tag the first go round but decided the gas expense would be too much.

Any of you Colorado hunters panick when you read the title?
:confused:
I guess I was just hoping it was over.....soon!
I'm waiting on 2nd rifle season for my next hunt......jumping the "gun" on this thread I guess.:wink:
I know of several hunters or groups who headed home empty from the western states, saying things have been slower this year with harder hunting.

How's the weather up there?

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
Any of you Colorado hunters panick when you read the title?
Nope. Just wondered what you've been smoking.:wink:

Actually, until the yahoos ran their generator all night at the trailhead, this year had been going great....as far as numbers of elk and them starting to bugle. And this past couple days out was awesome in the low country. It's definitely been warm, but the nights have been quite cool. All the surface water was frozen every morning that I went out. Hanging one in the dark timber would not have been a problem this year, even though the days were warm. In past years, many nights didn't even freeze with lows in the 40's.

· Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts
Some light rut activity during shooting hours this weekend and only one "fired-up" bull which I had a close call with.

· Registered
137 Posts
LOL - and I thought I had a week left :)

Ended up cancelling my last trip for this year since the freezer is already full.

Been getting reports from some buddys that are seeing some light rutting as well up in the area we hunt. Should be a good last weekend if the ML hunters haven't shaken things up too bad. Good luck to you guys still working to fill tags.

· Registered
2,832 Posts
I got it done on the 3rd hunt on the 2nd day of season. We were in Elk every hunt and my partner drawed several times and spooked them. I finally had one coming up a trail and could just see the ears working thier way up towards me. She looked right at me when she came to an opening and decided I was a bush and came on in then turned broaside behind a bush (as I drew my bow) then step out for the kill shot. The cow calf turned towards me just a little as I released and the broadhead blew right through the shoulder and into both lungs stopping into the opposite shoulder. She took 2 steps and and fell stone dead (we were oblivious for she went out of sight) and rolled 46 yards downhill. Another hunter across the ravine saw the whole event and came and relayed what he saw to us.

It was the most fun I ever had hunting big game.

· Registered
65 Posts
We went out, man was it hot. Weather that is. I got on a bull first day at 20 yds all I could see was horns and never could get a shot. Spike camped up at 10200 and bugled first thing that a.m. and had two answer. Man did we get with it. After about 30 minutes of closing in and calling back all we were doing was stocking other hunters, boy did that suck. We all admited it was the most action we had had. No real bulls bugleing but there was plenty of sign. They were in the timber and didn't need to move cause it was loaded with vegetaion

· aka former "treeslayer"
7,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How many elk did you see this year ZA?

Haven't seen a write up about your trip yet......or your pre-trip accident!?????:zip:

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
How many elk did you see this year ZA?
And did you kill one?

It does seem that the rut is a late one this year. I imagine that I'll have to head back out this last weekend. So much for that Easter calendar.:rolleyes:

· Registered
2,114 Posts
This has been the worst year of hunting elk in my life and not because of heat or elk not rutting. A hospital stay the week before season started ended opening weekend before it started. I was able to hunt one day the second weekend and it took all my strength. A trip to Montrose flared my arthritic knees to the point I had to quit after 2.5 days and I was hearing bugles and working elk. Being out hunting would have been much better. Panic isn't the right word. Hope would be the word. Hoping I can make a real effort on the last weekend with out misshap or pain and have a chance. Because it will be a very long wait until next year after a season like this with too many questions to answer.

· Excited Delerium
1,024 Posts
I hunted with two friends opening weekend. One of them shot a nice 4X4 mid-morning Saturday. They both saw Elk, but I didn't.

I've been back twice since then leaving Friday mid-morning and having to come home Saturday afternoon due to work and family commitments.

So far I've seen about 50 Deer, one real nice Buck, my first Moose here in the woods (Cow and Calf), and NOT A SINGLE ELK.

I know they're in there, I guess it's just not my year. I am leaving Thursday after I get the Daughter to school and I don't have to be back until Saturday night so the plan is to hit it hard every day and see if I can at least SEE an Elk before the season ends.

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
If this weather pattern doesn't change soon.....those first rifle season hunters are going to be sitting pretty. This year reminds me of 2003.....hot and dry through the middle of October. That year opening rifle morning, I had a bull bugle at me while I was working my way through the timber. A minute later he was standing broadside 25 yards below me. It took 4 Nosler Partitions to put him down, and every one of them was a kill shot on their own.

That year I heard lots of bugles in October.

· JB WELD PRO STAFFER
13,684 Posts
can you use a bow during gun season????

· Registered
1,373 Posts
I went from the 4th to the 11th to SW Colorado. I saw elk everyday but it just never came together. On the 10th we got some rain and cooler temps and they were really bugling that morning but then they quit again. It was a blast though. I thought I was in really good shape until I started chasing them up and down the mountains through that thick scrub oak. That was some hard hunting for a flat lander. Saw lots of deer and bear also.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.