Votes: 3 6.3%
  • No - Leave landowner vouchers at 15%

Votes: 45 93.8%
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that bowhunt Colorado, live in Colorado, or are members of the Colorado Bowhunters Association please respond yes or no to the poll whether you're in favor of landowners gaining another 5% of available tags.

Information for the proposals can be found at: http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting...ee/Pages/LandownerVoucherReviewCommittee.aspx

And the proposed legislation can be found at: http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/cl...B8B123187257AEE00571B65?Open&file=188_ren.pdf

An opinion for from a member of the Landowner Voucher Committee is found at: http://www.coloradobowhunting.org/ To the right of the first paragraph is a zipped powerpoint presentation.

An opinion against from David Peterson: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-petersen/the-north-american-model-_1_b_2868149.html

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Voted no cause it takes away from Public Land.

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
Doubt you'll find anyone that will vote yes unless they are selling LO couchers :wink:

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
Doubt you'll find anyone that will vote yes unless they are selling LO couchers :wink:
Well I don't know. I'm very stingy when it comes to my bowhunting. If it guaranteed me a LO elk tag that I wanted every year at a decent price, I'd be for it.:wink: But it doesn't.......so I'm against it.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would expect there may be some who buy vouchers that think they'll be easier to get now.

I'm not trying to sway anyone with my opinion (I've done all that over at Bowsite); which is why I put all the educational stuff they need to know up top. :)

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
I would expect there may be some who buy vouchers that think they'll be easier to get now.

I'm not trying to sway anyone with my opinion (I've done all that over at Bowsite); which is why I put all the educational stuff they need to know up top. :)
Ya, I didn't think about the folks that can afford them. Still would expect the majority to be against it but then again I thought the same about the new gun laws. :(

But what do I know... Can't even spell voucher on my phone:wink:

·
Registered
360 Posts
If one believes that state residents should have rights to 90% of the tags, shouldn't they also believe that actual landowners should have a right to 20% of tags?

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
If one believes that state residents should have rights to 90% of the tags, shouldn't they also believe that actual landowners should have a right to 20% of tags?
:dontknow: Is that what you believe?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I believe the sportsmen and women of Colorado are getting screwed! How can the CDOW support this knowing that it will decrease the overall application fees that landowners currently pay?

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it were that simple:

A -almost half of our tags are avalable to nonresidents.
B-only a very small percentage of landowners qualify
C- landowners own 0 game animals

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
I have no take on this as I live very far from Colorado, but I can tell you how it is here in Norway.

Here almost all the land is owned by private landowners.
By law they don't own the wild animals on their land, but in reality they are.
The government decides each year how many big game animals that can be taken on that land and then the landowner pays a very small fee per tag.
The result of this is that there are very few tags available for hunters that don't own hunting land and we have to buy expensive tags from a landowner to hunt big game and we have to pay a rather steep trespass fee to hunt small game on the landowners land.
There are some big game tags available on public land, but very few and most of them are for residents.
Non-resident hunters need very much luck in a draw or they need to pay rather high prices for tags. We don't have preference points in Norway.

I hunt much less now than I did 20 years ago because the prices are getting to high for me to do as much hunting as I did before.
Even if I love my country and the hunting here, I would move to a country with more and cheaper hunting if I didn't have my 2 small kids to take care of.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How much does it cost for a landowner per voucher??
$25 for dow/cow vouchers

$40 for buck/bull vouchers

I've seen as much as 500% markup on a buck tag alone....$19,960 profit on the peoples game animal.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Were I am going with this bobmuley, is I don't think CDOW has thought this thru. Imagine that. Lol

$40 for a buck/bull voucher compared to $576 bull and $349 buck for nonresidents. That takes money out of the CDOW fund. In today's age were money is the driving force for wildlife that seems strange to me.
Maybe the same person that said there is no proof that vouchers are being sold or brokered is getting a kickback from somewhere.

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
Were I am going with this bobmuley, is I don't think CDOW has thought this thru. Imagine that. Lol

$40 for a buck/bull voucher compared to $576 bull and $349 buck for nonresidents. That takes money out of the CDOW fund. In today's age were money is the driving force for wildlife that seems strange to me.
Maybe the same person that said there is no proof that vouchers are being sold or brokered is getting a kickback from somewhere.
You still have to pay for the tag after you buy the voucher.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You still have to pay for the tag after you buy the voucher.
...at the appropriate fees. NRs still buy the license at NR rates and residents pay resident rates.

The voucher is nothing more than a piece of paper entitling the holder to a license. :)

However, I don't think they've thought it through either. For instance, the proposed legislation calls for a "clearing house" be established to distribute these vouchers (complaint from landowners that they're "so hard to get rid of"...) with no funding. I figured that the vouchers are worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $12,000,000 dollars to the landowners. I say take a cut from them to manage their vouchers instead of the public land hunter who largely funds the wildlife in the state.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
At $40 from buck/bull vouchers plus they get the tag money ×5500 more vouchers that's $220,000. I know that figure won't be accurate due to cow/does vouchers. So they are wanting more money then.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts