Archery Talk Forum banner

Colorado Elk Hunt Bow Unit 4 or 5

14248 Views 11 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  TheDoctorReal
Friends and I are planning a DIY Elk hunt in Colorado with bows, this year and are looking into units 4 or 5. Has anyone had any luck in or around these units and any additional info would be really useful. We know a guy that lives just north of units in Wyoming and reccommended these units. Our plan is to camp near roadside and hike in each day, only one of us from group have been elk hunting before so it is new to nearly all of us. I think units 4 or 5 are both draw units which leads me to believe that hunting may be better. Any info would be a great help Thanks
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
I think units 4 or 5 are both draw units which leads me to believe that hunting may be better. Any info would be a great help Thanks
It is a draw tag, but the tag is good for 4, 5, and 441. Lots of elk up there. Finding a legal bull shouldn't be too difficult.

· Registered
2,114 Posts
Good luck with that. There are 450 tags for these units[4,5,441] and that means 135 tags are for non-res.
Non Resident Pref Points
176 137 41 8 6 1
2 0 0 0 1 0
The way you read this is the 176 had zero points, 137 had one point. So it means there is no way you will hunt these units this year unless you have points already.

· Registered
6 Posts
I've been packing in with horses into unit 12 the last 4yrs. Unit 12 is south of where yu will be hunting but the elk habits in that region are very similar. My best advice for archery hunting in yur units is 1. Stay off the sage flat areas, the elk won't migrate onto those until later seasons. 2. The weather will be hot and dry most likely so the elk will be in the high elevations in the dark timber. 3. Look for a place that has a flat ridge bordered by steep cliffs or mountain side. 4. Elk still love wallows that time of year find an active wallow and yu might find elk. 5. Get away from the other hunters not easy if yur not packing in. 6. Road hunting seldom ever works but yu can drink beer and enjoy the scenery (not legally). 7. Practice yur cow calling and when yu bugle don't over do it and use something that will sound more like a satellite bull. When I go I pop my head outa my tent in the morning and give a blow on my primos pack bugle and wait for a response..No response I go back to bed until I hear one of them but they nearly always bugle where I go. One year it sleeted for a couple days and shut em up good but it is usually painfully hot and dry so find the coolest places yu can elk don't like the heat.

· Registered
2,847 Posts
Elk can be in the sage flats this time of year. There needs to be a source of water, though. And the good news is that you can spot them at long distance with a spotting scope, watch them bed down, and get in the stalking mode. Tall sage is pretty much ideal for stalking.

I did this last year and got just within bow range when we almost stepped on a cow bedded down in the sage that we didn't see. A couple of years ago I stalked up on a bedded herd during the muzzle loading season and was able to harvest a nice one. Just play the wind and wear knee pads.

Don't count on the classic "bugling them in" on public land. The elk have learned to keep chatter to a minimum, and may run from the sound of a bugle. Some conservative cow calling will often serve you better.

· Registered
5,920 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.