Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here we go again. This will be my second trip, leaving in 15 days. Blank it last year, there was no water, where the water was 50 hunters had already found it. Does anyone know if Montrose is in a drought this year.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
No........as I sit here watchibg the falling rain. :thumbs_up

wet spring, wet summer, and good horn growth this tear. :shade:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Bobmuley said:
No........as I sit here watchibg the falling rain. :thumbs_up

wet spring, wet summer, and good horn growth this tear. :shade:
Hi Bob,
I am coming out to unit 21 for the week of Sept 5-18 to do some archery elk hunting. We are going to be close to baxter pass which I believe is just north of Grand Junction. I am a first time elk hunter and was looking for any tips the locals might be able to offer. ie. weather, terrain etc out there. I am an eastern hunter so the mountains are new to me..thanks :shade:

·
Registered
179 Posts
scarecrow

I'll help bob out, And tell you to bring a parachute.Start at the top and float to the bottom.

No it's not really that bad. I'm 49 and still hunt it. Are you hunting with an outfitter or on your own. Why did you pick 21.

Water holes early (first two weeks) when the rut starts put on your tennis shoes Hope you have a good hunt. Ask any questions I'll help.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Bownutco may be 49, but he's got two strapping young boys to help him pack meat out. :D :D

The first word that comes to mind for unit-21 is....STEEP. As in I can't get my horses in there steep. It can be scary standing on top of a 1,000 shale cliff looking down at some bucks and bulls. The second thing you'll have to be aware of is the private land (don't even let it cross your mind about cutting a corner, they take trespassing very, very serious there).

Weather that time of year tends to be warm to hot in the day time, afternoon thunderstorm from the monsoons, and chilly to cold at night. The latter part of the season will be 20-30 cooler than the beginning.

If you're a first timer, my suggestion would be to shoot the first elk you can. Its great meat, builds your confidence, and the herd needs thinned out as much as possible (not so much up there, but statewide we're soon gonna be asking the elk how they want the people season set 'cause they'll outnumber us ;) ).

·
Registered
427 Posts
Thanks guys. I ended up picking unit 21 becuase I am going with a buddy who is muzzleloading that week. He goes there because he has been there 5 or 6 times before and has pretty good luck. The terrain does sound interesting. I am planning on shooting the first good size animal that comes by. Would love to hold out for a bull, but I am just trying to learn the ropes this year.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
Ok, Bob you want me to shoot a cow and it will be a tough decision on opening day.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
In the name of herd control, a cow is better. In the name of dining, a cow is better. In the name of personal success, its up to you.

it will be a tough decision on opening day
Hindsight at the end of the hunt is just as tough to live with when you go home empty handed.

I'm not trying to convert any trophy hunters into meat hunters, but rather trying to get some folks to start out successfully. I'd rather not see anyone get discouraged and quit elk hunting all together. The only difference at the end of a successful bull hunt and cow hunt is the horns and the taxidermy bill.

AND cows are worth as many points as most bull in Colorado for the contest. :wink:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Nothing rong with cows. Plus you dont have to pack so much meat out. The thrill of the hunt is the same. get on the stairstepper. You will never forget your first elk hunt, I wont. Get a range finder and good binos, the distance looks different then the flat lands. Boots are one of the most important things, goods ones well broke in. Good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts