Archery Talk Forum banner

Colorado Gov Hickenlooper (D) proposes merging parks, wildlife into a single division

810 Views 17 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  kaj4
Here something that has been proposed here in CO. The CO Division of Wildlife which is not funded by the state general fund but rather by fees from sportsmen, is trying to be merged with CO State Parks so the DOW can be used to fund spending gaps at Colorado State Parks. Please read the article below:

My intent is not to get others fired up. If this has the potential to fire you up please ignore.

Hickenlooper proposes merging parks, wildlife into a single division

By Lynn Bartels The Denver Post

Gov. John Hickenlooper announced today that he is combining state parks and the Division of Wildlife into a single division, a move expected to save the state money because of the overlap between the two agencies.

Because of the consolidation, Hickenlooper's proposal to repurpose state parks because of a budget crisis is on hold for now.

Hickenlooper and Mike King, the director of the Department of Natural Resources, said no one will lose their jobs but positions will be eliminated as employees retire or resign. Because of baby boomers, there are steady retirements and initial estimate is the consolidation will mean about 25 fewer state jobs.

Wildlife employs about 650 people, and parks about 250 people, King said.

He said there is a "tremendous amount of overlap" between the missions of the Division of Wildlife and the Division of Parks and Outdoor Recreation.

"They provide recreational opportunity. They protect our lands, our habitat, our hunting and fishing opportunities," he said. "It should have been done a long time ago."

Once the consolidation is complete, park users and fishers, for example, will be able to go to the same website to buy their licenses.

Sen. Gail Schwartz, D-Snowmass Village, and Rep. Jerry Sonnenberg, R-Sterling, are carrying the bill allowing for the consolidation. Both are chairs of the agricultural committees in their chambers.

Today's announcement is the latest cost-cutting measure by Hickenlooper, who took office in January. The state is trying to close a $1.1 billion budget shortfall for next year
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Bent Not Broken
3,451 Posts
Doesn't sound too bad. Might work out well.

· Fishing Guide
3,020 Posts
In NY they combined two departments to create the Department of Environmnetal Conservation many years ago. So we ended up with game wardens that also have to police the environment. DEC officers have to enforce game laws and investigate large(and small) corporations for polluting the environment(usually to increase profits) and much more; odd thing was their salaries were paid from license fees for a long time.

· Registered
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Doesn't sound too bad. Might work out well.
What you don't understand about CO is that DOW is run in the black and is funded by sportmens dollars and spent on wildlife related spending. The States park spends over there budgets and many times run by granola types. If this happens dollars will be sucked from the DOW to the Parks. Our Game Wardens and biologist time will be spent being a referee for where campers can park when they go to state park to camp. Less dollars will be used for wildlife projects and instead used for those type people that don't hunt or fish but likes to "enjoy nature". I prefer that the dollars I spend on my Hunting and fishing licenses and big game tags continue to be used only for wildlife related cost.

My intent is not to get others fired up. If this has the potential to fire you up please ignore.

· Registered
2,030 Posts
What you don't understand about CO is that DOW is run in the black and is funded by sportmens dollars and spent on wildlife related spending. The States park spends over there budgets and many times run by granola types. If this happens dollars will be sucked from the DOW to the Parks. Our Game Wardens and biologist time will be spent being a referee for where campers can park when they go to state park to camp. Less dollars will be used for wildlife projects and instead used for those type people that don't hunt or fish but likes to "enjoy nature". I prefer that the dollars I spend on my Hunting and fishing licenses and big game tags continue to be used only for wildlife related cost.

i got only one question how much is your elk tag as a resident?

· Registered
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i got only one question how much is your elk tag as a resident?
About $50 why do you ask?

was this before or after he bumped his head???.....

not a fan of this one.....
If your are talking about a bicycling head bumb that was the former Gov Ritter that wrecked. Maybe Hickenlooper bumbed his head to I have not heard about it though.

· Registered
92 Posts
I can understand you being less then thrilled about this in a state like CO.
In SD the parks and wildlife have always been together. They also pretty well pay for themselves.

Sounds like the hikers need to pay more fees to use the trails. They just raise camping and entrance fees here to make up the difference. Like it should be, those who use it pay for it.

Tim

· Registered
7,438 Posts

· Registered
2,030 Posts
just wondering why mine is $600.00$$$$$$$$$$$
Because non-res has to pay for our parks!
hey don't mind paying for your parks, or .25cents for search and rescue, or buying my habitate stamp. I'm not complaning yet! Didn't get my big book in the mail yet. Been 18 years going there and only got one. It is a little costly paying all that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.